Auburn Young Professionals kick off 2018 program

On Tuesday night, young adults mingled and networked with other business professionals over drinks as they reflected on the past year, planned for the upcoming year and awarded members who greatly impacted the program, the Auburn Chamber and the community.

Professionals, ranging from those in their 20s to their 40s, gathered at the Auburn University Club for the 2018 kickoff of the Auburn Young Professionals program.

The AYP is a program of the Auburn Chamber. It was created to allow young professionals to connect with the community, engage with each other, develop leadership skills and find service opportunities.

The program and events are sponsored by several Auburn businesses.

Last year was the program’s first year, and the AYP’s kickoff event was a chance for all current members to assemble, introduce new members to the program and allow prospective members a chance to learn more about what the program’s mission is and what they have to offer.

“This kickoff is just a way to reflect on 2017 and get started for 2018,” said Vice President of Communications and Marketing Jennifer Fincher.

The AYP proudly recognized their abounding success in participation for their first year with about 275 members from over 139 businesses in the Auburn-Opelika area.

Through their service week, the program was able to donate 41 books for United Way, 50 bingo prizes for Morningside assisted living, 100 pounds of food for the Food Bank of East Alabama, over 350 pounds of pet food, as well items for new mothers and children’s toys.

The AYP’s members include a diverse group of individuals working in the Auburn area. Some were new to the area looking to meet people, and others were long-term members of the community looking to provide leadership and service.

There were also a number of current students and recent Auburn graduates attending the kickoff, some were already members and others are seeking membership for 2018.

Mayor Bill Ham was also in attendance to show his support of the AYP.

Meghan Durboraw is an Auburn alumna who attended the kickoff. She graduated in May 2017 with a degree in microbiology. Durboraw currently works at Pharmavite in Opelika.

“I am looking to meet people who are in the same situation I am. It is harder to meet young adults in Auburn who aren’t in school,” Durboraw said.

The program plans to increase members on their planning committee for the upcoming year and continue to grow in membership.

Share and discuss “Auburn Young Professionals kick off 2018 program” on social media.