Governor appoints Auburn grad to Alabama Supreme Court

On Friday, Gov. Kay Ivey appointed Circuit Judge Brad Mendheim to the Alabama Supreme Court to fill Justice Glenn Murdock's empty seat after he announced he would resign earlier this month.

“In appointing someone to serve on the Alabama Supreme Court, it is imperative to appoint someone with impeccable legal credentials and with unquestioned character and integrity – Judge Brad Mendheim exceeds those requirements,” Ivey said in a statement.

Mendheim graduated from Auburn University before enrolling in the Cumberland School of Law in Birmingham.

He has served as a circuit judge in Houston and Henry counties since 2008. Prior to that, he was a district judge in Houston County from 2001 to 2008, was in private practice in Dothan and served for more than six years as an assistant district attorney in Houston and Henry counties.

According to a release from the governor's office, Mendheim has presided over hundreds of trials, including death penalty cases, felony cases and civil cases.

“I appreciate the confidence placed in me by Governor Ivey, and I commit to serving the people of Alabama with diligence and integrity,” Mendheim said. “I’ve been a trial court judge for most of my career, and I look forward to bringing that experience to the Supreme Court while working with my new colleagues to ensure justice is achieved in every case we hear.”

Mendheim's appointment as associate justice is effective Jan. 23.

Share and discuss “Governor appoints Auburn grad to Alabama Supreme Court” on social media.