Flu season in full swing in Auburn, statewide

Along with the rest of Alabama, Auburn is currently in the thick of the flu season, according to local doctors, as people across the entire country are contracting the viral infection in exceptionally high numbers this season.

Dr. Jeremy White teaches at the Auburn Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine in addition to working in emergency care at three different hospitals in Georgia, Florida and Alabama.

“At all three facilities we’re seeing a significant increase in the number of patients that arrive with confirmed flu or flu-like illness,” White said.

Dr. Johnny Stackhouse, DO, also teaches at Auburn-VCOM and works in an outpatient clinic.

“I’d say in the practice I’m at, for the last several weeks, we haven’t had probably a day go by where we haven’t had at least a couple people that test positive for the flu,” Stackhouse said. “Most of the reports I’ve read from some of the experts believe we’re … probably at the kind of top of the arch of how bad we’re going to see it. … It probably will start to improve over the next little while, but we’re probably right at the worst part of the season.”

The Alabama Department of Public Health has an online Influenza Surveillance Map that tracks reported outbreaks of the virus throughout the state. The current statewide flu spread level is categorized as widespread, and every county in the state except for Mobile is marked as having, “Significant Influenza Activity Detected.”

Dr. Viengxay Malavong, DO, who practices at Auburn Urgent Care Inc., said they’ve also seen a lot of cases of both flu types A and B, but especially A.

“It looks like it’s still here, and it looks like it’s on the downslope,” Malavong said. “Only time can tell.”

Continue reading below...

The large number of flu cases can be attributed to the flu vaccine’s lack of effectiveness during this particular flu season.

“When the flu shots are made, there’s a guess made at which strains are going to be around this year, and if the guess is not exactly right, then it’s not going to be as effective,” Stackhouse said.

Stackhouse also said that the particular strain going around this season is likely extra contagious compared to past strains.

“I think two things happened,” White said as he scanned the ADPH website for information. “They’re seeing strains that might not have been included in the vaccine itself that are becoming a little more predominant and that the number of people that have been vaccinated or should have been vaccinated is lower than they would’ve liked.”

Despite the vaccine missing the strain target, doctors still generally recommend that people get the flu shot.

“It still seems to be helping some people, so it’s still a good thing to get your flu shot because even with it not being quite as effective, sometimes just even some cross-reactivity or just some immunization that is not exactly the same might help your body fight off the current strain a little bit easier,” Stackhouse said. “The flu season actually goes into April, so we still have several more months of possibly having the flu, and what strains come from between now and the end of flu season could still vary.”

Malavong also said that other strains could come into play later in the season.

“As providers, we always recommend the vaccination, but this year it might not work as well compared to most years,” Malavong said.

All three doctors stressed the importance of preventive actions – hand washing, not sharing foods or beverages with other people, shielding coughs and sneezes and cleaning surfaces such as desks, food prep areas and phones.

“And then if people just stay home when they’re sick, not try to push it – just to keep the workplace safe,” White said. “Most of the stuff that we’ve known about forever still applies. It’s a common sense kind of when we’re all sick, but the actual practice of it is what everyone needs to be reminded of from time to time.”

Share and discuss “Flu season in full swing in Auburn, statewide” on social media.