Man charged with financial exploitation of 81-year-old Auburn woman

On Tuesday, the Auburn Police Divison arrested and charged Jason Earl Haile, 28, of Manchester, Georgia, with financial exploitation and abuse of an elderly person, the APD announced in a release.

On March 14, 2017, the police responded to a theft-of-property complaint filed by an 81-year-old woman in southeast Auburn.

The woman said three men offered to install pine straw in areas of her half-acre yard at a cost of $5 per bale. The woman agreed, but once the job was completed she said the men told her she owed them $2,500.

The victim said she felt intimidated by the men and paid the $2,500.

Police said Haile was developed as a suspect after he was allegedly captured on video surveillance cashing the check from the woman. A warrant for Haile's arrest was obtained and entered into the National Crime Information Center system.

Haile was identified by an officer in Shelby County during a traffic stop. Auburn police traveled to Shelby County and took Haile into custody.

He was transported to the Lee County Detention Center, where he was held on a $7,500 bond.

Police said the case remains under investigation and encouraged anyone that may have more information regarding the case or who may have experienced a similar incident to call detectives at 334-501-3140 or the anonymous tip line at 334-246-1391.

Share and discuss “Man charged with financial exploitation of 81-year-old Auburn woman” on social media.