COLUMN: Give Millennials the credit they deserve

There is an unfair stereotype for the Millennial generation. They are seen as entitled, social-media-obsessed individuals with a lack of commendable work ethic.

In reality, the generation is very in tune with the world around them and what they wish to conquer within it.

Millennials as a whole tend to be more satisfied knowing they own and control their own destiny in ways that other generations haven’t, which contributes to their bad reputation.

This generation has a different approach to reaching goals and won’t settle for anything less than their dream.

I find this admirable.

Millennials value a sense of purpose. Where many people find them lazy for not taking the traditional route, I believe they are just finding a new, individualized approach.

Millennials are some of the most diverse and educated Americans, but this just leads to people thinking they are too opinionated for their life experience.

Those that are characterized as “Millennials” love spending time with family and friends just as much as the previous generations; salary does not define them. The millennial generation is more adventurous and willing to take risks in order to find what satisfies them – what gives them that purpose.

While being probably the most tech-savvy generation, they use this to stay connected. It is used as a tool and resource for them to seek new adventure and new experiences that their parents and grandparents would never have dreamt doing.

This generation values happiness like no other. It is not based on how nice of a car they drive but the experiences that the car takes them to.

The generation-wide definition of success is no longer money driven.

Success is now measured in happiness and satisfaction, and that is something truly worth the shift.

While Boomers and Gen Xers may mock Millennials for buying too many avocados and not investing in real estate, they should really be taking notes from Millennials instead.

They are living life to the fullest, pushing the boundaries and making change. To me, that doesn’t seem lazy at all.

Share and discuss “COLUMN: Give Millennials the credit they deserve” on social media.