Donors contribute nearly $500,000 to help fund University projects

Through Tiger Giving Day last Wednesday, donors contributed approximately $470,000 divided among 31 projects.

Auburn alumni, faculty, students and fans alike logged onto TigerGiving.org to donate within a 24-hour time frame. Donors had the option to choose between three giving levels: $30 to be a Bodda Getta Donor, $75 for the Track ‘Em Tigers Donations and $100 to be a War Eagle Donor.

There were a number of projects funded this year to select from including the installation of a Steinway 1098 piano for the Jay and Susie Gouge Performing Arts Center.

In addition, the Special Collections and Archives Department started a project to purchase equipment to digitize reel-to-reel tapes. The tapes are part of the Horizon Lecture Series, which ran from 1965 to 1979 and included a variety of speakers including Muhammad Ali, Edward Kennedy and David Frost.

“These recordings provide a unique insight into how those turbulent years played out on The Plains,” said Assistant Dean for the Special Collections and Archives Department Aaron Trehub. “They’re also evidence of Auburn’s longstanding commitment to free speech and to viewpoint diversity. Digitizing these recordings will make it easier to preserve them for posterity.”

Trehub said he would love to hear from people who were at Auburn during those years and attended those lectures as well as hear current student feedback.

Other efforts went toward gathering funds for scholarships including the Help Auburn Students Belong project, which was funded 310 percent past their goal of $35,000. Through this project, donors gave to an Auburn club of their choice in order to increase scholarship dollars.

Students involved in clubs started a few of the projects of their own. Senior Grace Freeman is a founding member and president of Auburn’s Equestrian Club. She wanted to raise funds to purchase a reining horse for the club.

“My team and I simply cannot thank all of our donors enough,” Freeman said. “With more horsepower, we can accept more riders onto the team, host more shows and compete at a higher level.”

Forrest Wood, senior in architecture, started a project to keep the pumpkin carving tradition alive. This event is the School of Architecture’s biggest fundraiser and this year will be the 30th anniversary.

“It’s amazing how this event brings together our community,” Wood said. “To our donors, thank you so much for helping continue a tradition that provides scholarships and sponsors educational activities.”

Share and discuss “Donors contribute nearly $500,000 to help fund University projects” on social media.