National Society of Black Engineers will hold second annual Black Girls Rock awards

Returning for the second year, Black Girls Rock, put on by the National Society of Black Engineers, will provide a platform honoring the many black women who serve as professors, professionals, staff and students at Auburn.

“The purpose of Black Girls Rock is to recognize black women in the community for what they do,” said Taylor Hargrove, programs chair for the National Society of Black Engineers.

Modeled after the B.E.T. awards, Black Girls Rock is a way to promote the accomplishments of black women on Auburn’s campus and in the surrounding community.

“I definitely think there needs to be more events like that on campus where it’s planned out really well, gives people a chance to dress up and support their communities on Auburn’s campus,” said Carmen Stowe, senior in software engineering.

While there are some new awards being introduced this year, there are also a few awards that will be presented for the second year. The Shot Caller Celebrant Award, the Living Legend Award, the Community Change Agent award and the Social Humanitarian Award are all returning to Black Girls Rock.

For this year, Black Girls Rock will be introducing the Young, Black and Talented award for the first time. This award will honor a student who expresses herself through the arts and uses her talents to help society.

There will also be four appreciation awards presented at this year’s Black Girls Rock. The appreciation awards will go to the women on campus who work in the Foy Food Court, the Student Center and as custodial workers.

“We don’t really recognize that they do a lot on campus for us, and without them, campus wouldn’t run smoothly,” Hargrove said.

Members of NSBE think Black Girls Rock has the ability to grow into a bigger event, and they hope that each year brings more campus participation and award opportunities.

“Eventually we would like a scholarship to be associated with Black Girls Rock,” Hargrove said.

Stowe, the coordinator of last year’s event, said she would love for the event become a part of Auburn’s traditions.

In its first year, about 150 students, faculty and family members attended Black Girls Rock, and both Hargrove and Stowe hope to see this number continue to grow over the coming years.

“Don’t think of it as an exclusive event but instead that we’re giving the Auburn community a window into a different subsection of the Auburn Family they haven’t seen before or interacted a lot with,” Stowe said.

Additional information about the event and each individual award is available on Instagram under the account @auburnblackgirlsrock.

The event will be held Sunday, March 25 at 6 p.m. in the Student Center Ballroom.

Share and discuss “National Society of Black Engineers will hold second annual Black Girls Rock awards” on social media.