Pair of Tigers earn postseason honors ahead of SEC Tournament

Auburn women's basketball didn't have the type of season it had hoped for after back-to-back NCAA Tournament appearances in the two years prior.

Despite the team's 5-11 record in the conference, multiple Tigers shone through as bright spots, namely freshman Unique Thompson and sophomore Daisa Alexander, both of whom were named to postseason All-SEC teams Tuesday afternoon

Thompson, a first-year forward out of Theodore, Alabama, touted an average of 8.7 boards per game -- tops in the conference among freshman. For her rim protection, the freshman earned a spot on the league's 2018 All-Freshman team.

She totaled 225 rebounds in the 2017-18 season, which is the most for for a freshman Tiger since 1985-86. 

Auburn's starting power forward turned in seven double-doubles in the regular season, tying the program's freshman record. Thompson's scoring average of 11.8 points per game ranked fourth among SEC freshman.

Alexander was named to the SEC All-Defensive team, which came as no surprise, as the Decatur, Georgia native led the conference in steals in the regular season (74). The sophomore sits just behind starting point guard Janiah McKay as the team's second-leading scorer, averaging 15.1 per game in SEC contests.

The 10-seed Tigers will face 7-seed Tennessee in Round 1 of the SEC Tournament Thursday in Nashville. Tip-off is at 6 p.m. CT on SEC Network.

Share and discuss “Pair of Tigers earn postseason honors ahead of SEC Tournament” on social media.