Where Auburn's NFL prospects' draft stock stands heading into NFL Combine

Here's a look at where each player is being rated currently

Players from across the country have begun to make their way toward Indianapolis for this week’s NFL Scouting Combine, including several former Auburn standouts who are hoping to be selected in April’s NFL Draft.

Seven former Tigers will showcase their skills live for NFL Scouts in the coming days, but the list of pro prospects coming out of The Plains does not end there. Up to twelve players hailing from Auburn’s 2017 roster are considered NFL prospects by various draft sites and experts.

Here is a look at where each of them are being rated currently:

CB Carlton Davis

Standing at 6-foot-1, Davis carries the typical build of a starting cornerback in the NFL. The three-year starter and 2017 All-American’s size and physicality have him rated as one of the top corners in this year’s draft class and a projected first-round pick by some.

Walter Football

No. 3 Cornerback, Projected Round: 1-2

CBS Sports

No. 14 Cornerback

Drafttek.com

No. 62 Overall

Matt Miller - Bleacher Report

No. 4 Cornerback, No. 34 Overall

Draftanalyst.com

No. 4 Cornerback, No. 34 Overall

NFL.com

Projected Round: 1-2

RB Kerryon Johnson

2017 was a breakout season for Johnson that saw him go for 1,391 rushing yards and 18 touchdowns in 12 games, which was enough to earn SEC Offensive Player of the Year honors.

Johnson may not contain the breakaway speed some other running backs in the draft class present, but his vision and proven ability to handle a heavy workload have him projected to be one of the first tailbacks selected.

Walter Football

No. 3 Running Back, Projected Round: 2-3

CBS Sports

No. 7 Running Back

Drafttek.com

No. 65 Overall

Matt Miller - Bleacher Report

No. 5 Running Back, No. 26 Overall

Draftanalyst.com

No. 4 Running Back, Projected Round: 2

OG Braden Smith

Smith captured first-team All-American honors in his senior season at Auburn, and his draft stock has been steadily rising since the conclusion of the 2017 season.

Seemingly every NFL team is searching for more help along its offensive line each season, and Smith’s athleticism and ability to be productive while both run and pass blocking has him pegged as either a second or third round pick by most.

Walter Football

No. 5 Guard, Projected Round: 2-3

CBS Sports

No. 3 Guard

Drafttek.com

No. 36 Overall

Matt Miller - Bleacher Report

No. 2 Guard

Draftanalyst.com

No. 7 Offensive Tackle, Projected Round: 2-3

NFL.com

Projected Round: 3-4

DE/OLB Jeff Holland

It was uncertain whether Holland would decide to leave school early before he made his decision in January, but it is difficult to fault him after having as good of a 2017 season as anyone could have imagined. After setting a preseason goal of eight sacks, he surpassed it with 10 on the way to being a first-team All-SEC honoree.

Holland bears size concerns if he wants to be an every-down defensive end, but his ability as an edge rusher has him projected as a possible second-day pick.

Walter Football

No. 7 Outside Linebacker/Defensive End, Projected Round: 2-4

CBS Sports

No. 4 Defensive End

Drafttek.com

No. 72 Overall

Matt Miller - Bleacher Report

No. 8 Edge Rusher

Draftanalyst.com

No. 21 Outside Linebacker, Projected Round: 6

NFL.com

Projected Round: 3-4

K Daniel Carlson

The three-time Lou Groza Award finalist is considered as the top kicking prospect by nearly everyone. It’s unclear what point in the draft a kicker will be selected, but there appears to be a good chance Carlson could be the first one off the board.  

Walter Football

No. 1 Kicker, Projected Round: 4-6

Drafttek.com

No. 253 Overall

Draftanalyst.com

No. 1 Kicker, Projected Round: 3

NFL.com

Projected Round: 5-6

S Tray Matthews

After starting as a true freshman at Georgia and the past three seasons at Auburn, Matthews was one of the Tigers’ snubs who failed to receive an invite to the NFL Combine.

The strong safety is known for his leadership and fearlessness on the field, but it is unsure whether his coverage skills are strong enough to play consistently at the NFL level. Matthews is widely projected as a late-round pick.

Walter Football

No. 12 Safety, Projected Round: 3-5

CBS Sports

No. 5 Strong Safety

Draftanalyst.com

No. 13 Safety, Projected Round: 5

NFL.com

Projected Round: 6-7

LB Tre’ Williams

A nagging shoulder injury slowed Williams throughout most of the 2017 season, and despite an impressive week of Senior Bowl practice in January, he had to leave the game early due to weakness in one of his arms.

Like Matthews, Williams was not invited to the combine and is being projected as a possible late-round pick.

Walter Football

No. 8 Inside Linebacker, Projected Round: 3-5

CBS Sports

No. 17 Outside Linebacker

Draftanalyst.com

No. 11 Inside Linebacker, Projected Round: 5

S Stephen Roberts

Roberts saw massive improvement during his senior campaign in 2017 and proved to be strong in both coverage and stopping the run. He finished the season with six tackles for loss, which was more than he totaled in his three previous seasons combined.

Scouts will have a tough time looking past his slim frame, but Roberts will have a chance to impress with his speed among other skills at the combine.

Walter Football

No. 34 Safety, Projected Round: 7-Undrafted Free Agent

Draftanalyst.com

No.11 Safety, Projected Round: 5

C Austin Golson

Golson was best known for his versatility while at Auburn, playing all five positions across the offensive line in 2017.

He participated in both the Senior Bowl and East-West Shrine Game in January and will look to play center in the NFL.

Walter Football

No. 12 Center, Projected Round: 5-7

CBS Sports

No. 3 Center

Drafttek.com

No. 355 Overall

Draftanalyst.com

No. 14 Center, Projected Round: Undrafted Free Agent

RB Kamryn Pettway

No Auburn player may have had as tough a 2017 season as Pettway, who was suspended for the season opener and saw the field sparingly the rest of the way while battling various injuries.

It did not do much to help his draft stock, but Pettway still elected to forgo his final year of eligibility and aim for the NFL. He is not expected to be drafted by most, but hopes to fit in with a team in search of a physical, downhill runner.

Walter Football

No. 30 Running Back, Projected Round: 6-Undrafted Free Agent

Drafttek.com

No. 217 Overall

Draftanalyst.com

No. 33 Running Back, Projected Round: Undrafted Free Agent

NFL.com

Projected Round: Undrafted Free Agent

G Darius James

James played at offensive tackle for the Tigers the last two seasons after transferring from Texas. He battled injuries in 2017 and was not a standout among Auburn offensive lineman, but some websites are considering him a prospect at guard for the NFL.

Draftanalyst.com

No. 17 Guard, Projected Round: 7

LS Ike Powell

Powell might not be the most exciting prospect out of Auburn this year, but the three-year starting long snapper and Senior Bowl participant is sure to get some looks.

NFL.com

Projected Round: 7-Undrafted Free Agent

Share and discuss “Where Auburn's NFL prospects' draft stock stands heading into NFL Combine” on social media.