Alpha Gamma Delta helps combat hunger through new philanthropy

According to the Alpha Gamma Delta headquarters, one in seven Americans struggles with hunger. Within the last year, the sorority’s national philanthropy switched from diabetes awareness back to their founding philanthropy; food insecurity.

The aim of “Fighting Hunger” is to combat food deprivation issues in North America by partnering with Feeding America and Meals on Wheels.

“There are so many families right here in Auburn that don’t know where their next meal is coming from,” said Ashton Baker, junior in elementary education. “I love that we get to touch so many lives through our philanthropy.”

Recently, the Alpha Gamma Delta sisters at Auburn banded together for their Week of Service. Chapter members volunteered their time to work with different organizations including the Campus Kitchens Project, the Jason Dufner Foundation, the East Alabama Food Bank and the AUMC Food Pantry. All members were encouraged to sign up for at least one event throughout the week.

"Week of Service is an event that encourages sisterhood by giving back to the community around us,” Vice President of Philanthropy Victoria Black said.

The sorority was able to deliver over 100 meals for Meals on Wheels, donate about 223 canned food items, deliver 52 valentines to the residents at Azalea Place Assisted Living and pack 700 meals during the week.

“We get very excited about our philanthropy as a whole,” Vice President of Marketing Mary Pat Farmer said. “We’re very proud of what we accomplished.”

Along with the Week of Service, the sorority hosts an annual philanthropy event in the fall called Alpha Gam Wing Jam. Coming up on March 26, the sorority is partnering with Phi Gamma Delta for the Java Jam fundraiser.

“Java Jam will be an all new event full of coffee, great music, tea, snacks, bands and fun,” Farmer said. “We are so excited to string up some lights and sip coffee with friends while raising money for our philanthropy.”

Share and discuss “Alpha Gamma Delta helps combat hunger through new philanthropy” on social media.