Bowling alley to open in old Hastings storefront

A new bowling alley is planned to open near Auburn's campus in the Glenndean Shopping Center at the intersection of East Glenn Avenue and North Dean Road in the space which formerly held entertainment store Hastings.

“I’ve got two boys at Auburn,” said Scott Good, owner of Good Times. “On one of the outings over there I noticed that there is a need for a more current, modern facility for high school kids, and college kids, and for families to have something to do in Auburn.”

Construction has been underway inside the building, and Good said that his new business is expected to open in early April. 

Good has been managing bowling alleys for the last six years and oversaw a bowling pro shop for 24 years before that.

“(Good Times) is not just bowling,” Good said. “It’s called a family entertainment center. There’s something for everybody.”

The building has 28,000-square-feet of space, and Good Times will have 16 bowling lanes, an arcade, escape rooms, a kitchen and a bar.

Good said he plans to attract customers with lots of activities and up to date equipment at his new business.

“It’s going to have the couches,” Good said when describing the new bowling lanes. “You can watch TV while you bowl.”

Good said that the arcade will have around 30 games and that the food served will be a variety of finger foods such as hamburgers, wings and appetizers. 

College students will likely fill most of the roles in the new shop, Good said, and that he would be willing to offer flexible work hours that would work around classes.

“You have to work with the kids’ schedules,” Good said. “You’d like to have one person work 30 hours, but you might to have multiple people work the 30 hours just because of their scheduling.”

The storefront has been empty for over two years. Hastings liquidated its assets in 2016 after filing for bankruptcy. The Auburn Hastings was one of more than 100 of the chain's stores that closed its doors. For years, it served as a multimedia center for the area, selling comics, video games, electronics and books. 

“It’s going to be a good place for everyone,” Good said.

Share and discuss “Bowling alley to open in old Hastings storefront” on social media.