COLUMN: Top trends for students from New York Fashion Week

Braving the cold winter months in New York City, thousands of fashion icons, eager reporters, celebrities, designer hopefuls and more flocked the streets for the most awaited week of the dreary months­ ­­— New York Fashion Week. 

Spanning from Feb. 8-16, this jam-packed week set the tone for the featured season. 

As the fashion world is always 10 steps ahead, the week showcased collections for Fall 2018 Ready-to-Wear. 

Although NYFW may see some reworking in future seasons as they are finding the millennial tech-savvy consumer to be better reached in other ways. 

The trends, concepts and styling still have a tight grip on what is put out in the industry. 

As a fellow college student aiming to create a fashionable style without breaking the bank, here are some takeaway trends from the concrete jungle to interpret in your own, affordable way next fall.

Animal Print

Yes, you read it right. The cat is out of the bag, and the print has hit the runway this season.

One of those things you either love or hate, animal print seemed to be a love from the fashion elite this time around. 

From tiger print to cheetah, traditional to bold-color renders, animal print was an unexpected feature. 

Design houses such as Bottega Veneta, Adam Selman, Calvin Klein, Carolina Herrera and Michael Kors all included versions of the trend. 

Although it may be intimidating, look out for a surplus of animal print in the “new arrivals” section. 

It’s a sure way to incorporate fun into your fall wardrobe.

Oversized Coats

Although the trend of oversized apparel has been present the past few years, this season designers pushed it further. 

Surely channeling the ‘80s with this trend, big shoulders and boxy silhouettes were revamped this season and turned modern. 

Featured in looks from Tom Ford, Alexander Wang and the groundbreaking collection from Marc Jacobs, this is one trend that you are sure to see at your favorite retail stores.

Iridescent Fabrics

Emulating a “working girl robot,” said magazine house Harper’s Bazaar, fabrics with a shiny, foil-like finish were common in this season’s ready-to-wear collections. 

The seemingly unconventional took the spotlight and hinted at the robotic, technological society we live in today. 

The trend was often the fabric choice for rare interpretations of business-wear looks. 

Calvin Klein, Brandon Maxwell, Christina Siriano and more all presented oversized jackets paired with mini skirts in this material.

Designers communicated a distortion to the female figure in order to reflect a more robotic nature. 

This trend is easily scaled down from that presented on the runways, making it a great addition to fall wardrobes.

Hot Pink

As designers continued with their trip back to the ‘80s, it was only fitting they included bright accent colors in their cold-weather looks. 

Bright pink took the trophy home this time for a color to watch. 

Powerful, feminine and elegant all at the same time, millennial hot pink has seeped its way into the fashion world.  

Featured in shows by Alexander Wang, Anna Sui, Oscar de la Renta, Marc Jacobs and Prabal Gurung, the shade made its mark on the runway. 

Veer away from the black and neutrals and take a risk on this cheery, yet chic, color this fall.

Keep your eyes peeled for these trends as they make their way off the runway and into the stores of your favorite retailers.

Share and discuss “COLUMN: Top trends for students from New York Fashion Week” on social media.