District Attorney's Office announces $10,000 reward for unsolved case

The unidentified remains of "Baby Jane Doe" were found in an Opelika trailer park six years ago, police are now seeking the community's help

A $10,000 reward is being offered by the Lee County District Attorney’s Office for information regarding an unsolved murder case. 

The case, named "Baby Jane Doe," concerns the identification of remains of an unnamed child which were found in 2012 near an Opelika trailer park.  

District Attorney Brandon Hughes announced the $5,000 reward on Thursday for anyone able to provide information in the 6-year-old case. 

According to the district attorney’s Facebook page, a second donor has matched the amount offered by the joint efforts of the district attorney and the Governor's office, raising the reward to the current amount of $10,000. 

“A local citizen has generously and graciously offered to match the Governor’s reward,” read the post.  

“We wish to thank the individual for their kindness and much-needed help,” Hughes said.

The department was first notified of the remains on Jan. 28, 2012, and has been working to find out as much information as they can since then. The child has not yet been identified. 

"This has been the continued, concerted effort on the part of several law enforcement agencies," said Chief John McEachern at Thursday's press conference. 

Opelika Police Department Sgt. Alfred White has been involved since the investigation's initiation. 

"It may be difficult to pick up the phone and call and say something – but it is the right thing to do," White said.

Hughes referred to it as a "dogged investigation" by the Opelika Police Department. The Associated Press said there is strong evidence to suggest that the child was malnourished for most of its life.  

Share and discuss “District Attorney's Office announces $10,000 reward for unsolved case” on social media.