LETTER | Principles vs. Politics: Rolling the Oaks and its Meaning

I believe anyone, regardless of personal political affiliation, can easily see what could be deemed a hypocritical disparity between the reactions displayed by the Plainsman in regards to these two election reactions

I recently graduated in December from Auburn, a university that I love dearly. We have a beloved tradition at Auburn where following athletic victories the trees are rolled at Toomer’s Corner to signify the win.

Following the 2016 presidential election, myself and other students rolled the trees in celebration of President Trump’s historic victory. The following day the Plainsman published articles condemning those actions. With statements such as, “rolling the trees should only be reserved for events that all Auburn students can enjoy,” the article sought to use unity of students as an attack against those who ‘dared’ to celebrate a presidential election. Unfortunately, it wasn’t something I was surprised to read.

However, something did surprise me recently. Following Senator Jones’ victory in the recent special election held to fill the vacancy left by Attorney General Sessions, Auburn students supporting Jones also ‘dared’ to roll the trees for an election result. I personally have no problem with their celebration, speaking as a student who formerly “dared” to roll the trees following the results of an election, and as one who was happy to see fellow students engaged with current events of our state and our country. However, unlike President Trump’s election, the election of Senator Jones was not followed the next day or any day afterward by a similar outcry attacking students for daring to roll trees for non-Auburn related events. In fact, the Plainsman shared multiple posts of photos of the Jones celebration.

I believe anyone, regardless of personal political affiliation, can easily see what could be deemed a hypocritical disparity between the reactions displayed by the Plainsman in regards to these two election reactions. This is particularly interesting considering the Plainsman initially argued for inclusivity only to later ignore what they before seemingly thought to be such a pressing issue? On a campus largely comprised of conservatives I find the inclusion argument, cherry picked and used when suiting the apparent bias of the Plainsman, to be rather blatantly one-sided and while arguing principled inclusion seemingly promotes partisan exclusion.

Other views on rolling the trees:

I say all of this to put into perspective the upcoming coverage of the mid-term elections at which point supporters may or may not be condemned, depending on the election’s results, for their dare to celebrate victories on the campus where they pay tuition.

I know there are some who truly believe the trees should only be rolled for Auburn related events. I do not personally share that belief, as I think it to be merely a student reaction to events (whether political, sports related, etc…) meant for celebration and I view it as fine as long as such events are peaceful in nature. However, to those who presented the argument of inclusion initially following the trees being rolled after President Trump’s victory but not following Senator Jones’, it begs the question as to whether the Plainsman truly believes the trees should not be rolled for political elections or that it should only not be rolled for Republican victories whereas Democratic victories are photographed, praised, and seemingly encouraged.

The discussion of inclusion is important on our campus and throughout our country. Everyone, regardless of race, gender, political views , etc.. should be and ought to be able to feel comfortable on our campus. But when this argument of principled inclusion regarding our Toomer trees is advanced following Republican victories but ignored following Democratic victories, it suddenly stops being about principle and instead about partisanship, which I fear derides the actual principled argument made in the first place.

I would like to thank the Plainsman for permitting me to share my thoughts on this subject and all of those who have taken the time to read my views.

War Eagle,

Taylor Johnson

Want to submit your own letter to the editor? Check out our submission and opinion page policies here.

Taylor Johnson is a fall 2017 graduate of Auburn University.

Share and discuss “LETTER | Principles vs. Politics: Rolling the Oaks and its Meaning” on social media.