Malzahn: Auburn worked through 'fluke injuries' in second spring scrimmage

A week from today, Auburn football will be back inside Jordan-Hare Stadium.

As April 7's spring game date approaches, the Tigers held their second scrimmage of the spring Saturday morning. According to head coach Gus Malzahn, the team stayed indoors in a "half-scrimmage," which focused on Auburn's second and third team groups.

Auburn went through four different two-minute scenarios, followed by red-zone drills. Malzahn "mixed in" live punt and kickoff returns to "get better at" last season's abysmal kick coverage.

The team scrimmaged in front of over 450 Auburn lettermen, which included Cam Newton and Daniel Carlson, among others. Other notes from Saturday:

• Malzahn confirmed that Will Hastings (ACL) and Nick Brahams (ankle) will miss the remainder of spring practice. Neither were present at Thursday's practice. On Hastings' timetable, Malzahn said "the surgery went well, but it's hard to predict. It's a big blow, with him and Eli (Stove)."
  • Freshman kicker Anders Carlson made a 62-yard field goal on a dead play during the scrimmage. Malzahn said the kick would have been good from 70 yards.

MORE: Anders Carlson showcasing potential to be Auburn's next great kicker

• Sophomore Noah Igbinoghene, who has been playing both wide receiver and corner, was on defense. The two-sport athlete has been working primarily in his defensive back position this spring. 
  • Offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey is "pleased with the progression" of quarterbacks Malik Willis and Joey Gatewood. 
  • The offense cut down on its turnovers. Malzahn said there was one pick in a two-minute scenario. The two combined for four interceptions last Saturday.
  • 2017 starting quarterback Jarrett Stidham's status for A-Day is still uncertain.
  • Running backs Malik Miller and Asa Martin impressed Malzahn in their protection, saying the two are getting "more confident" with every practice.
  • Buck linebacker Big Kat Bryant "has turned it up." Defensive coordinator Kevin Steele said Thursday that the 2017 SEC All-Freshman has been focusing more on the buck position after playing defensive end his first season.
  • Calvin Ashley and Austin Troxell have been "rotating well at the tackle position." 
  • Darius Slayton missed Saturday with the flu. Jeremiah Dinson, Ryan Davis and Calvin Ashley have also missed time this spring with the illness.
  • Malzahn said the spring injuries have nothing to do with the strength and conditioning program. "Our program is one of the best in the country," Malzahn said. "Both injuries were fluke deals. When fluke things happen, that's just part of the game."
  • Malzahn said the scrimmage rules that come with the A-Day game will stay the same, for now.

Share and discuss “Malzahn: Auburn worked through 'fluke injuries' in second spring scrimmage ” on social media.