No. 9 Auburn looks to continue dominance in MAX Capital City Classic

Auburn has won eight of the nine meetings in the annual rivalry game vs. Alabama in Montgomery.

Losers in four of its last five games, No. 9 Auburn will look to return to its winning ways in a series they have dominated in the past.

The Tigers will take on Alabama in Montgomery inside Riverwalk Stadium, home of the Montgomery Biscuits, Tuesday night in the MAX Capital City Classic. Auburn has won eight of the nine meetings in the annual rivalry game.

Although the game does not count toward the two teams’ SEC records, Auburn head coach Butch Thompson said the sense of urgency is always high when the Tigers and Crimson Tide meet.

“There’s always an added sense when Auburn and Alabama play in any sport,” Thompson said. “I’m all in on that. I think a lot of our players, it will be the first time. For half of our roster, it will be the first time to be apart of this event.

“That game we play in Montgomery is the closest thing to a football environment for a baseball game. It is one of the neatest things for the promotion of baseball in our state.”

Auburn will look to bounce back from the last time it met the Crimson Tide on the diamond, as Alabama swept then-ranked No. 4 Auburn last season inside Plainsman Park. The Crimson Tide finished their sweep of the Tigers with a 15-inning victory last season.

“I just want us to keep sharpening our axe,” Thompson said. “I want to go and have success every time, and it is a heightened awareness. It seems like a lot more people care when it is Auburn and Alabama.

“But as the leader of this ball club, I want us to make sure we are continuing to sharpen our axe and try to win every single pitch of tomorrow night’s ballgame just like any other (game).”

Tuesday night will mark the first time that Auburn and Thompson have squared off with its former assistant coach Brad Bohannon, who took over as head coach of the Crimson Tide last summer.

“I appreciate Brad like crazy,” Thompson said. “A lot of these (Auburn) players do, too. A lot of these players who are going to try to beat his ball club have a great appreciation for him helping them get to Auburn University. That relationship won’t change just like my relationship with anybody that’s built over time."

“It’ll probably be different,” Auburn second baseman Luke Jarvis said. “I know he’s pretty competitive so he’ll probably want to win that one. It’ll be cool. We all love Bohannon so it will be a cool experience to play against him.”

Auburn, who sits at 20-5 overall and 3-3 in the SEC, will send freshman Jack Owen to the mound. First pitch is set for 6:30 p.m. CST.

“I know what it means to our fans (to beat Alabama),” Thompson said. “I know what it means to us and to our success in this series. I will remind our team of every bit of that and who we represent. We want to play well.”

Share and discuss “No. 9 Auburn looks to continue dominance in MAX Capital City Classic” on social media.