Theater department begins 2017-18 season with Antigone

The set design for "Cabaret" was made entirely from scratch except for a spiral staircase already in the theatre department's storage. (Danielle Lowe / ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR)

The 2017-18 theater season starts off with a bang as it pays tribute to women authors and choreographers this season for the celebratory 125 Years of Auburn Women.

Demonstrating the strength of women is crucial to Auburn theater this season.

The first work of the season, "Antigone" will run from Sept. 21-29, 2017, and is directed by Daydrie Hague.

The story is about a young girl, Antigone, that fights for the right to bury her deceased brother, Polynices, after an uprising against her other brother, Eteocles. The brothers dueled to the death. Creon, the man who took the throne after their deaths, decrees that Eteocles should be buried with honor, but Polynices will rot on land.

Antigone’s struggle against the new power in her world leads to her tragedy, but it raises questions about authority and resistance.

Tickets are free to students and $16 for general admission. Reserve your tickets online at the theater department’s site. 

Mikayla Burns | Managing Editor

Mikayla Burns, senior in journalism and Spanish, is managing editor of The Auburn Plainsman.

Share and discuss “Theater department begins 2017-18 season with Antigone” on social media.