The Plainsman's Final Four, national title predictions

March Madness is finally here.

The 2018 college basketball season has been wild, to say the least. Programs that were given no shot (Virginia, Tennessee, Auburn) have been given legitimate shots to make deep runs, and teams that were no-names on day one now have a chance to shock the world.

During the season of bracket craziness, buzzer-beaters, Cinderella teams and by-the-numbers 1 seeds, it's difficult to project how it will all play out.

The Plainsman sports staff gave it a shot.

Nathan King, assistant sports editor

FINAL FOUR: Virginia, Gonzaga, West Virginia, Michigan State

NATIONAL CHAMPION: Michigan State

SLEEPER PICK: 10 Texas

For those who want to write off big-name programs that have had adversity surrounding them this season, you can't. You'd practically cross out half your bracket. Michigan State is simply too strong and efficient to count out at the end, although a possible Sweet 16 matchup with Duke, followed by an Elite 8 vs. Kansas, will be must-see television. 

Auburn has the firepower to out-shoot anyone in the tournament, it's just a matter of which Tigers team shows up. Defensively, they're hurting without Anfernee McLemore, but Auburn has been a given a favorable first two rounds in its first trip back to the Big Dance in 15 years. 

I expect Auburn to work its way past Charleston, then either New Mexico State or Clemson before being bounced by Kansas in the Sweet 16 (Auburn fans shouldn't complain about that).

Zach Tantillo, sports writer

FINAL FOUR: North Carolina, Virginia, Duke, Villanova

NATIONAL CHAMPION: Duke

SLEEPER PICK: 11 San Diego State

The Blue Devils have struggled to make any significant noise in the tournament since their national championship, but this Duke team is as deep — if not deeper — than the 2014-2015 national title squad. Possible No. 1 pick Marvin Bagley leads the way for Duke, averaging 21 points and 11 rebounds as a freshman. Accompanying Bagley is four other potential NBA draft picks: Wendall Carter, Gary Trent Jr, Grayson Allen and Trevon Duval (No other team has more than three projected draft picks). 

Simply, the Blue Devils are too deep, too talented and let us not forget to mention that they are coached by arguably the greatest men’s basketball coach of all time. 

Cole McCauley, Sports Writer

FINAL FOUR: Villanova, North Carolina, Michigan State, Arizona

NATIONAL CHAMPION: Villanova

SLEEPER: 7 Nevada

If Mo Bamba is 100 percent, Nevada will face a tough first round matchup against No. 10 Texas. The Wolfpack were dismantled by conference foe San Diego State in the Mountain West conference tournament, however, the Wolfpack come into the tournament relatively hot, winning six of their last eight games.

The Wolfpack can score with any team in the country (their 83.1 points per game are 18th in the country). They also move the ball extremely well (16.4 per game) and aren't too shabby on the other side of the court.

Although they lack any dominant big man, they have impressive backcourt size and on the wings. NC State transfers and twins Cody and Caleb Martin spearhead a potent Wolfpack attack with 19.1 points, 5.3 rebounds and 2.6 assists for Caleb and 13.6 points, 6.3 rebounds and 4.6 assists per game for Cody.Guard/Forward Jordan Caroline also chips in with 17.9 points and 8.8 rebounds per contest and at 6'7", 230 pounds he is undoubtedly a matchup nightmare for opposing defenses. 

If they can get past Texas they should run into a stout Cincinnati defense and then possibly a matchup against 3 seed Tennessee where I think they can exploit the Volunteers lack of size.

John Koo, sports writer

FINAL FOUR: Arizona, Michigan, Villanova, Duke

NATIONAL CHAMPION: Duke

SLEEPER PICK: 8 Missouri

Watch out for projected lottery pick Michael Porter Jr. being in much better shape than his first game back against Georgia in the SEC tournament. He could be the spark that helps this Mizzou team on a deep run.

Arizona should surprise a lot of people if they haven't paid attention to PAC-12 basketball. With a potential No.1 pick in DeAndre Ayton and explosive guards in Allonzo Trier and Rawle Alkins, this team, offensively, is one of the best in the country. Fresh off a PAC-12 Championship, the Wildcats could be a legitimate contender to break Virginia's rock solid defense in a possible Sweet 16 matchup.

Although Duke's road to the final four this year is much harder than its journey in 2015, the Bagley/Carter frontcourt is one of the most dominating in the nation. With an experienced and proven March performer in Grayson Allen to hold the team together, expect Coach K to get his sixth ring.

Zachary Pike, sports writer

FINAL FOUR: Arizona, Duke, Gonzaga, Villanova

NATIONAL CHAMPION: Arizona

SLEEPER: 11 Loyola-Chicago

No team has faced more adversity than Sean Miller's Arizona Wildcats this season. The Wildcats seem to be playing their best basketball of the season at the right time. Freshman sensation DeAndre Ayton and junior guard Allonzo Trier are mismatches for most teams in the tournament. The dynamic duo should be a tough matchup.

Gonzaga finally made it to the Final Four last year as they fell to North Carolina in the national championship. The Bulldogs are deep and talented as five players average over 11 points a game. Gonzaga has a great offense scoring nearly 85 points per game. Duke obviously has the talent to win it all. Marvin Bagley and Wendell Carter form a strong frontcourt and senior guard Grayson Allen brings great guard play for the Blue Devils. I expect Duke to outlast Michigan State and Kansas in a very difficult Midwest Region to reach another Final Four. 

Guard play is always a major factor in the NCAA tournament. Villanova boasts one of the best backcourts in the nation in Jalen Brunson and Mikal Bridges. Brunson was the Big East's Player of the Year. The Wildcats lead the nation in scoring at 87.1 points per game and another Final Four run for Jay Wright's team is well within reach. 

Share and discuss “The Plainsman's Final Four, national title predictions” on social media.