Carlson breaks record, Auburn wins 4th straight SEC series

After dropping the first game of the series on Friday to No. 8 Tennessee, No. 11 Auburn's streak of series victories was in jeopardy.

The Tigers took Saturday's contest 2-0, and the opportunity to take the series was there for the taking Sunday.

In the first four innings, the game was a mainly uneventful affair. Both teams notched just three hits apiece. Besides an RBI double from Auburnjunior, Morgan Podany in the bottom of the second inning that put the Tigers on the board, both teams were having trouble getting their respective offenses going.

That is, until the fifth inning. 

Seemingly out of nowhere, the Auburn bats caught fire. A three-run home run courtesy of Alyssa Rivera highlighted a four-hit, five-run fifth inning for the Tigers that transformed their tight lead to a sizable one.

"It's always a good feeling to score runs, it's all part of offense," said Rivera. "You got to go out there and get the job done."

Rivera's three RBIs and two hits from senior Courtney Shea paced Auburn on the offensive side, but it was on the other side of the ball where the Tigers were able to truly shine.

Aside from tremendous fielding and defense that allowed Auburn to hold the best hitting team in the SEC to only three hits and zero runs, it was starting pitcher Kaylee Carlson who was the center of attention after the win.

Carlson, who moved to an impressive 17-2 on the season after the win, pitched a full seven-inning shutout, dominating from start to finish. 

Not only did the Garden Grove, California, native strike out five Tennessee batters, but Sunday's win carried a bit more importance than others. 

The win gave Carlson her 63rd of her Auburn career which put her past former Auburn pitcher Lexi Davis in the record books who garnered 62 victories in her four-year Auburn career.

The achievement is even more impressive considering Carlson has only spent three years on The Plains after transferring from North Carolina after her freshman year.

After teammates showered Carlson in ice cold water, the senior admitted that going into the game the record wasn't really on her mind.

"I was going out there to win the series," Carlson said. "We have to go out there and try to win every series from here on out."

"Today was probably the best game I've seen out of them in the SEC so far. The games are a lot more fun when we go out there and hit, our team is lighter, the energy is great." Carlson added.

Auburn's six runs tied a season high against SEC opponents which is especially impressive against a powerhouse team like No. 8 Tennessee. 

"What's impressive is, (the players) are getting better, because they work hard," Auburn head coach Mickey Dean said.

The combination of all-around great offense and defense propelled the Tigers to a series victory and their 36th win of the season.

Auburn will return to action on Friday as it begins a three-game series at Missouri.

Share and discuss “Carlson breaks record, Auburn wins 4th straight SEC series ” on social media.