Casey Mize, Will Holland named to midseason watch lists

Auburn baseball players Will Holland and Casey Mize have been named to the watch list for two different postseason awards. Holland, a shortstop, was named to the Brooks Wallace Award Watch List while Mize was named to National Pitcher of the Year Award Watch List.

Mize is widely considered one of the best pitchers in the country, if not the best. He is a consensus early first round pick in this summer's Major League Baseball Draft. He has already been named to the Midseason Pitcher of the Year watch list by D1Baseball and Perfect Game/Rawlings.

Mize has nine starts this season with a 7-1 record to go along with a 2.00 ERA. Batters are batting just .164 against Mize. The Springville, Alabama, native has struck out 86 batters in only 63 innings of work. Mize has allowed an astounding number of walks with only four all season. He also leads the country in WHIP with a 0.65.

53 shortstops nationally, including Holland, were named to the the Brooks Wallace Award Watch List. Eight are from the Southeastern Conference. The award is given to nations top shortstop and will be awarded over the summer the College Baseball Foundation.

Holland has started 37 of Auburn’s 38 games at shortstop, and he leads the Tigers with a .305 batting average. The sophomore has been vastly productive as he has already outpaced many of his numbers from last year. Thus far, he has 30 runs, 40 hits, 20 doubles along with six home runs and 30 RBI. Holland ranks in the top three for Auburn in each of these categories also.

Auburn travels to Tuscaloosa to take on the Crimson Tide in a critical three-game SEC series. Mize will be on the mound tonight at 6 p.m. CST.

Share and discuss “Casey Mize, Will Holland named to midseason watch lists” on social media.