First black Auburn SGA president elected Georgia Supreme Court chief justice

The justice will succeed current Chief Justice Harris Hines, who is planning on retiring in August

Georgia Supreme Court Justice Harold Melton, Auburn University's first black Student Government Association president, was selected by his colleagues to serve as the court's next chief justice, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported on Tuesday.

The justice will succeed current Chief Justice Harris Hines, who is planning on retiring in August.

Melton was appointed to the court in 2005 and was reelected in 2006 and 2012. He will have to stand for election this year.

In 1987, Melton was elected to serve Auburn SGA president, becoming the first black student to serve in the office.  

Originally from Washington, D.C., he graduated from Auburn with a degree in international business in 1988 before going on to the University of Georgia, where he received a law degree in 1991. 

Melton visited The Plains in December when he spoke at graduation commencement. 

Alabama Chief Justice Lyn Stuart, who took the place of former Chief Justice Roy Moore after he was removed for judicial ethics violations last year, is also an Auburn graduate.

Share and discuss “First black Auburn SGA president elected Georgia Supreme Court chief justice” on social media.