Owners release information on Toomer's Corner building redevelopment

Birmingham-based Retail Specialists LLC and Auburn-based The Thomas Building LLC released additional information about The Thomas Building's redevelopment, which included a rendering

Auburn residents now have a better idea of what Toomer's Corner will look like in the near future.

On Monday, Birmingham-based Retail Specialists LLC and Auburn-based The Thomas Building LLC released additional information about The Thomas Building's redevelopment, which included a rendering.

Named after the family that has owned the property for over a century, the three-story building, located at the southeast corner of the intersection across the street from Toomer's Drugs, will house a BBVA Compass Bank branch on the first two floors, three "game-day" apartments on the third and a rooftop patio area for "game-day activities," according to a release from the companies.

Totaling at around 17,800 square feet, 5,900 square feet of the space is allocated for the apartments on the top floor.

Continue reading below...

“We will design The Thomas Building to blend into the neighborhood as a project in an area of Auburn that deserves an iconic look," said Ronnie Herring of The Thomas Building LLC in the release. "It is going to be an exceptional project.”

The revamped building is expected to be open by early spring 2019, the companies said.

Compass Bank moved its Auburn operations to South Gay Street last year while the building renovations were being planned.

The bank's branch will return to Toomer's Corner when The Thomas Building reopens, occupying the only commercial space in the new building.

Construction on the building, which the companies said includes asbestos remediation, has already begun.

Share and discuss “Owners release information on Toomer's Corner building redevelopment ” on social media.