Tiger Stomp kicks off the weekend with step competition

Rhythm and beat filled the Student Activities Center Friday night as National Panhellenic Council hosted its Tiger Stomp event. The night began with a DJ playing music for guests as they arrived while performers prepared for their routines.

Alpha Phi Alpha performed a dance routine, a step routine and a theatrical skit. The fraternity’s performance had an Air Force theme, where they sported jumpers for their uniforms.

The second group to perform was Delta Sigma Theta sorority from the University of Alabama at Birmingham, who said they were excited for the chance to perform and happy to have been invited.

Delta Sigma Theta based their performance on the "All That” television series “Good Burger” skit. Their performance began with a fake news video, which foretold the audience they were going to do a “Good Burger” themed performance. Their performance contained a mixture of dance, step and theatrics with uniforms based on the “Good Burger” restaurant uniforms.

Auburn's AU Rhythm performed a dance number in baseball attire before the event's intermission. The host and DJ of the event worked together to encourage people to get out of their seats and dance during the break.

After intermission, Phi Beta Sigma from Tuskegee University performed a Michael Jackson tribute routine with each member wearing different Michael Jackson-inspired attire.

Auburn University's Omega Psi Phi performed last and did a step routine including dancing and singing to gospel music. The fraternity encouraged members of the audience to join. 

The DJ continued to play gospel music for the audience until it was time to announce the winners.

The first place winners of the night received checks for $1,000 and the second-place winner received a check for over $500.

The first place winner for the sorority division was Delta Sigma Theta. The team celebrated when they announced the winners and said they enjoyed participating in the show. 

The first place winner for the fraternity division was Alpha Phi Alpha with the second place winner for the fraternity division being Phi Beta Sigma.

Another grant of money was awarded during the event — a scholarship awarded to a member of the audience for $500.

The night came to a close with music and dancing.

Share and discuss “Tiger Stomp kicks off the weekend with step competition” on social media.