Tim Cook to be honored with 2018 Human Rights Award

Apple CEO and Auburn alumn Tim Cook will receive the 2018 Human Rights Award on April 4. 

The Birmingham Metro Southern Christian Leadership Conference will honor Cook as a part of its observation of the 50th anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.'s assassination. 

The SCLC recognizes individuals for the continuation of King's legacy in advancing human and civil rights. Cook has frequently cited King as a major influence in his life. 

Cook will participate in a student symposium at Sixth Avenue Baptist Church in Birmingham. Local and national voices will be present at the symposium. 

The conversation will be moderated by Anthony Hood, associate professor of management in the Collat School of Business at the University of Alabama at Birmingham. 

Cook graduated from Auburn in 1982 and joined Apple in 1998. He was born in Mobile, Alabama. 

The panel will feature Ivan Holloway, executive director of Urban Impact Inc; Sara Wood, Outreach Paralegal at Southern Poverty Law Center; Sherrell Dorsey, journalist and founder of ThePlug; Adrienne Starks, founder and CEO of Stream Innovations; Abby Guerin, director of workforce development at Innovate Birmingham; and Greg Willis, founder of CEO of Bridgegate. 

Share and discuss “Tim Cook to be honored with 2018 Human Rights Award” on social media.