University fundraising campaign finishes with $1.2 billion

A total of 207 donors gave $1 million or more to the cause. Read more to see what your college contributed.

Auburn has raised more than $1.2 billion in the most successful campaign in history. Announced in Jordan-Hare Stadium on A-Day, "Because This is Auburn — A Campaign for Auburn University" concluded on Dec. 31, 2017.

"This is Auburn" raised $1 billion and set a new standard for fundraising campaigns in the state. Funds from "Because This is Auburn" went to the creation of 2,108 scholarships and 106 chairs and professorships.

“The success of the campaign affirms the Auburn Family’s commitment to fostering an academic environment defined by innovation, distinction and discovery,” said Bill Hardgrave, provost and vice president for academic affairs. “The continued investment in the future of Auburn only strengthens our ability to recruit the best students and bring the most innovative scholars to our University."

The donation period ran from April 1, 2008, to the end of last year. They raised a total of $1,202,549,730 through 467,708 gifts from 106,976 donors — 55 percent of who were first-time givers.

A total of 207 donors gave $1 million or more to the cause. The first unit to achieve their established goal was the School of Forestry and Wildlife Sciences.

"Because This is Auburn was an extraordinary success on every level," said Jane DiFolco Parker, vice president for development and president of the Auburn University Foundation. "We reached our goal of $1 billion more than sixteen months early, and the Auburn Family continued their tremendous generosity through the end of the campaign. In addition to the tremendous philanthropic support we received, we were fortunate to have invaluable leadership from campaign co-chairs who shared a passionate belief in Auburn and in the importance of this campaign."

A third of the commitments and donations were contributed toward efforts ensuring financial stability and future endeavors.

The Division of Student Affairs raised $7.683,937 and the Office of Inclusion and Diversity raised $1,756,658 having received 34 percent of their donations from foundations.

The funds from the financial campaign went to students, faculty, program and facilities. Auburn Athletics raised the most for the campaign, hitting a whopping $282,220,697.

The College of Veterinary Medicine received outstanding support from Auburn faculty staff at the price of $2.4 million out of the $87,992,544 in donations.

Over $9 million was donated from parents through the College of Sciences and Mathematics. Samuel Ginn College of Engineering raised the most of any academic unit, having rung in at $247,301,439. Seventy-one percent of funds raised by the College of Liberal Arts were from Auburn alumni.

One-third of the donations through the College of Architecture, Design and construction were designated for Rural Studio, a nationally-known program based in Hale County.

"The generosity of the Auburn Family has been amazing to see," said President Steven Leath. "Nowhere is this philanthropic spirit more evident than in the success of 'Because This is Auburn.' We are positioned to become a world-class academic, research and service university in the true spirit of our land-grant heritage."

For more donation numbers, click here.

Share and discuss “University fundraising campaign finishes with $1.2 billion” on social media.