Williams earns SEC honors after hit parade in Tuscaloosa

Williams, who leads the Tigers with 51 hits this season, has started in 41 of Auburn’s 42 games this season. He is second on the team with eight home runs and tied for first in RBI with 40.

After helping lead Auburn to its first sweep of Alabama in Tuscaloosa in 1976, Steven Williams was honored by the SEC on Monday as he was named SEC Co-Freshman of the Week.

South Carolina’s Logan Chapman was recognized by the conference along with Williams.

In Auburn’s perfect week versus UAB and Alabama, Williams racked up a .462 batting average, while reaching base at least twice in each game. He also tallied eight runs scored in the four games.

In Tuscaloosa, the Albany, Georgia, native went 6-for-10 in the three games and reached base 12 times. He scored seven of Auburn’s 44 runs in the series and racked up eight RBI in the three-game set.

Williams, who is hitting .331 in his freshman season on The Plains, has driven in two or more runs in a game a team-best 13 times this season. He is tied for first in the SEC with teammate Edouard Julien in RBI among freshmen.

Williams and the Tigers will return to action Tuesday night as they host Samford. First pitch inside Plainsman Park is set for 6 p.m. CST.

Share and discuss “Williams earns SEC honors after hit parade in Tuscaloosa” on social media.