Governor issues state of emergency ahead of subtropical storm Alberto

<p>Severe&nbsp;weather expected over the next week.&nbsp;</p>

Severe weather expected over the next week. 

Lee County has been included in the state of emergency issued by Governor Kay Ivey.

The state of emergency is effective Sunday, May 27, beginning at 6 a.m.

According to the National Weather Service, Alberto will become a tropical storm, and its track will shift further east.

The effects of the storm will be seen on the coast of the state on Saturday and the continued results will impact the following counties throughout the week:

Autauga, Baldwin, Barbour, Bibb, Bullock, Butler, Chambers, Chilton, Choctaw, Clarke, Coffee, Conecuh, Coosa, Covington, Crenshaw, Dale, Dallas, Elmore, Escambia, Geneva, Greene, Hale, Henry, Houston, Lee, Lowndes, Macon, Marengo, Mobile, Monroe, Montgomery, Perry, Pickens, Pike, Russell, Sumter, Tallapoosa, Tuscaloosa, Washington and Wilcox.

Some locations could see 10-15 inches of rain, and the volume could lead to flash flooding and river overflow.

“All Alabamians should take time to be prepared for the potential of significant flooding. I have directed essential state agencies to be on the ready should they be needed over the next couple of days,” Ivey said. “As with any tropical weather event, being prepared is of utmost importance. Everyone should take the necessary precautions now and stay informed of the latest weather conditions for their area. This State of Emergency will ensure that all available state resources are ready when they are needed.”

At the time of this article's publishing, Lee County is not under a flood watch.

“There is still uncertainty of where landfall will occur, which will likely be late Monday or early Tuesday morning,” Director of Alabama Emergency Management Agency Brian E. Hastings said. “Regardless of the final track and intensity of Alberto, we know it will produce heavy rainfall and flash flooding in several counties, and the time to prepare is now. Residents and tourist are strongly encouraging people to closely monitor this forecast.”

Share and discuss “Governor issues state of emergency ahead of subtropical storm Alberto” on social media.