Six female students receive Fulbright Scholarships — the most in University history

The Fulbright Program sponsored by the U.S. government is a flagship international educational exchange program

<p>Six female Fullbright Scholarship winners. Top from left: Hayley Carter, Amanda&nbsp;Darnell and&nbsp;Sarah Pitts.&nbsp;Bottom from left:&nbsp;Kayla Frey,&nbsp;Katie Kirk and&nbsp;Alyssa Patterson. Photos contributed by the Auburn University Office of Communications and Marketing.&nbsp;</p>

Six female Fullbright Scholarship winners. Top from left: Hayley Carter, Amanda Darnell and Sarah Pitts. Bottom from left: Kayla Frey, Katie Kirk and Alyssa Patterson. Photos contributed by the Auburn University Office of Communications and Marketing. 

For the first time in Auburn University's history, six students have received Fulbright Scholarships from the celebrated educational exchange program sponsored by the U.S. government. The six women will serve as English Teaching Assistants, ETAs, in five countries around the world. 

"Auburn’s unprecedented number of Fulbright Scholars certainly demonstrates the quality of our students, faculty and academic programs,” said Bill Hardgrave, provost and senior vice president for academic affairs. “I am extremely proud of these six recent graduates who have worked so diligently and will represent our institution as they advance their research and studies abroad.”

The Fulbright Program sponsored by the U.S. government is a flagship international educational exchange program. The goal is to build lasting connections between the people of the United States and the people of other countries. 

The Fulbright Program is funded through an annual appropriation made by the U.S. Congress to the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.

Fulbright ETAs spend the majority of their time abroad in classrooms. They work to support their host country’s English language instruction. ETAs contribute to the numerous learning benefits having a native English speaker in the classroom brings. 

“As the Fulbright program is the Department of State’s flagship exchange program, we are proud that our young alumni will become ambassadors for the United States and for Auburn University,” said Andy Gillespie, assistant provost for international programs. 

Sarah Pitts, of Birmingham, Alabama, is one of the six scholarship recipients. She is a 2017 Honors College graduate of the College of Liberal Arts. She earned a double bachelor's degree in English literature and Spanish with a minor in political science. She will spend her Fulbright year in Colombia. 

Pitts was also a finalist for both the Truman and Rhodes Scholarships. She was an active member of Auburn’s chapter of Universities Fighting World Hunger, “Blessings in a Backpack” school nutrition program, the International Buddy program and a volunteer peer-mentor with the Office of Accessibility during her time at Auburn. 

“I believe the classroom must necessarily be a space where students feel comfortable to try and to risk failing, and this is especially true with language learning,” Pitts said. “As a Fulbright ETA in Colombia I hope to create a classroom in which trying is celebrated above succeeding so that my students will gain the confidence in their language skills that will allow them to speak and write, without the stress of aiming for perfection.” 

Another scholarship recipient is Alyssa Patterson, of Mobile, Alabama. She is a 2018 graduate of the College of Education and earned a bachelor's degree in exercise science and a minor in philanthropy and nonprofit studies. Patterson will serve as a Fulbright ETA in Taiwan. 

While at Auburn, Patterson was a student recruiter with the Office of Admissions and served as the executive vice-president, chief of staff and publicist for the Black Student Union. Patterson is a certified United States Gymnastics Association instructor and has taught adaptive gymnastics for the last three years. 

“While I enjoyed the academic aspect of college life, student leadership opportunities unveiled a new world of possibilities that I would not have immersed myself in otherwise,” said Patterson. “Through the Office of Student Involvement, my participation in the Black Student Union afforded me countless, unparalleled experiences that helped me to grow personally and confidently and it is this confidence I will take with me to Taiwan in the coming year. In addition to teaching English in Taiwan, I aspire to learn about the Taiwanese health system and complete a global health service project in adaptive gymnastics.”

Kayla Frey, of Huntsville, Alabama, also received a Fulbright scholarship. She is a spring 2018 graduate of the College of Sciences and Mathematics. Frey earned a bachelor's degree in biomedical sciences and a minor in philanthropy and nonprofit studies. She will be an ETA in Poland as a part of her Fullbright Scholarship. 

Frey served as a general chemistry learning assistant, a histology undergraduate teaching assistant and a world history supplemental instruction leader during her time at Auburn. She was also an undergraduate research fellow and a Project Uplift mentor. 

“It is my hope that as a Fulbright Scholar in Poland I will be able to develop the cultural competency necessary for a successful career in international healthcare,” said Frey. “My three years of teaching experience as a peer instructor in the College of Science and Mathematics will be invaluable during this experience as the program specifically sought applicants who were STEM-based and who had teaching experience at the university level.” 

Award recipient Hayley Carter, of Mobile, Alabama, is a 2018 graduate of the College of Human Sciences. She earned a bachelor’s degree in global studies and a minor in business. 

Carter will spend the next year as a Fulbright ETA in Honduras. She has taken three previous trips to Honduras while she served on mission teams. 

“Honduras has been a very special place for me since I first visited in 2013 and I am so grateful for the opportunity to live and teach full time,” Carter said. “My years in the global studies program at Auburn have undoubtedly been my greatest preparation to live in Honduras. Being surrounded by a group of such passionate, driven people for the last two-and-a-half years has inspired me to work as hard as I can so that I may be able to make a difference in the world.” 

A native of Little Texas, Alabama, Katie Kirk is another Fullbright recipient. She is a spring 2018 graduate of the College of Liberal Arts. She earned a bachelor’s degree in philosophy and minors in German and English. Kirk will spend her Fulbright ETA in Germany. 

Kirk immersed herself in the philosophy department during her time at Auburn. At first, Kirk was mentored by faculty and upperclassmen. Kirk went on to become the president of the Philosophy Club and intern for the Philosophy and Religion Workshop. She was also a lead writing consultant in the Miller Writing Center. 

“My time in philosophy deepened a love of languages and linguistics, and that is why I chose to minor in English and German to further develop those skills,” said Kirk. “As a Fulbright ETA, I plan to organize a young adult literature reading group as a way to further connect to my German language students and share my interest on topics of political and theological importance for public audiences.”

Amanda Darnell, of Huntsville, Alabama, is the final Fullbright recipient. She is a spring 2018 graduate of the College of Liberal Arts. She earned dual bachelor’s degrees in German and Spanish, with electives in linguistics and three additional languages. Darnell's Fulbright ETA will be spent in Germany. 

Darnell served as president of the German Club, co-president of the German Honor Society, co-president of Spanish Club and research assistant to faculty in the German Department, during her time at Auburn. She also taught English in Seville, Spain, during a study abroad experience, and she served as a literacy coach in Auburn City Schools. 

“Teaching English in Germany is an opportunity to touch the lives of young individuals in both their native tongue and my own, and this passion I intend to pursue for years to come,” said Darnell. “After having studied five languages at Auburn and tutored in three, I realized that teaching English is what I can do best in cultivating a mutual understanding and sharing a sincere and approachable representation of American life.”

Paul Harris, associate director of the Honors College, assisted the six recipients and other students in the Fulbright application process. 

“I thoroughly enjoyed working with our scholars throughout the lengthy application process,” said Harris. “They are inquisitive and engaging with a range of interests and activities that go well beyond their stellar classroom performance. They will gain so much from their year abroad and they will represent themselves, Auburn University and the United States with distinction.”

Share and discuss “Six female students receive Fulbright Scholarships — the most in University history” on social media.