Gov. Kay Ivey wins Republican nomination for Alabama Governor

According to the New York Times, Gov. Kay Ivey received 282,843 votes putting her at 56 percent of the vote with 89 percent of precincts reporting.

<p>Alabama Governor Kay Ivey greets supporters during a rally on Monday, June 4, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Alabama Governor Kay Ivey greets supporters during a rally on Monday, June 4, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.

The Republican gubernatorial primary race has been called, and Gov. Kay Ivey is on top. 

Gov. Kay Ivey received 282,843 votes, putting her at 56 percent of the vote with 89 percent of precincts reporting, according to The New York Times.

Huntsville Mayor Tommy Battle had the next highest amount of votes at 26.5 percent, evangelist Scott Dawson had 13.3 percent of the vote and Sen. Bill Hightower received 3.6 percent of the vote, according to The New York Times. 

"It seems like it's been just a short while," Ivey said in her speech Tuesday night. "But in the face of difficulty our great state showed strength and resiliency. Instead of staying stuck in the past, we moved forward and steadyed the ship."

Kay reminded the crowd at her watch party in Montgomery, Alabama of her accomplishments as governor in the last 14 months, such as the largest middle-class tax cut in the last 10 years and an increase in jobs. "But Ivey is not done yet," she said.

"I'm going to keep up the good fight," Ivey said. "I'm looking forward to all that we can accomplish in a full four years. I'm going to keep fighting to bring good paying jobs to our state. I'm going to keep fighting to make sure our children get the education they need and deserve."

Ivey said fighting for conservative values has been her goal over the last 14 months, and plans to continue to do just that.

"Above all, I'm going to keep fighting to maintain your trust and I will not let you down," Ivey said. 

Ivey expressed gratitude for all the support she has received leading up to the primary. She also reminded the crowd that the race isn't over, and everyone still needs to go to the polls in November. 

"I need your help my friends because the liberals want this job bad," Ivey said. "They want it but they're not going to get it. 

She asked the crowd to think about the November election over the next few months and remind their friends and family to vote in that election too. 

Ivey commended her Republican opponents in the primary and thanked them for the ideas and enthusiasm they brought to the race.

"I know moving forward, we can all work together to make Alabama a better place to live, work, visit and raise a family," Ivey said. "I am honored tonight by the people of Alabama to be the Republican nominee for the office of governor of the state of Alabama."

Gov. Kay Ivey will face Democratic nominee Tuscaloosa Mayor Walt Maddox in the November 6, 2018, election for governor of Alabama.

Share and discuss “Gov. Kay Ivey wins Republican nomination for Alabama Governor” on social media.