MasterBrand Cabinets closes Auburn plant, lays off 445 employees

The company cited changing market conditions and consumer tastes as the reason for the closure.

<p>MasterBrand Cabinets Inc. Auburn plant sign on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.&nbsp;</p>

MasterBrand Cabinets Inc. Auburn plant sign on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 in Auburn, Ala. 

MasterBrand Cabinets announced the sudden closure of its Auburn plant Tuesday, laying off 445 employees. 

“In order to improve operational efficiencies while addressing these market changes we will close the Auburn, Alabama, manufacturing plant effective June 12, 2018," a statement from the company read. "Products manufactured in the Auburn facility will be produced at other MasterBrand U.S. manufacturing locations."

MasterBrand Cabinets has said it is committed to assisting the 445 affected employees through the transition. 

"The company will provide additional compensation, coordination with all state and local agencies to help find new employment and resources from our Employee Assistance Program," the statement read. "Additionally, we encourage all of our associates to apply for opportunities at our other manufacturing facilities; those offered positions may qualify for relocation assistance as well.”

MasterBrand Cabinets Inc. is based in Jasper, Indiana. The company came to Auburn in 1999 when the plant opened. 

The city of Auburn was also informed Tuesday of the MasterBrand Cabinets plant closure.

“We are extremely disappointed to hear that this longtime Auburn industry has decided to close its doors, but we are most concerned about finding a place for the more than 400 people who lost their jobs today,” said Auburn Mayor Bill Ham. “We are committed to helping these individuals find meaningful employment, and I am confident that our Workforce Development Division will do everything in its power to help them find new jobs.”

The City of Auburn’s Workforce Development Division has been in touch with other area industries. The division plans to hold a job fair to connect those looking for new positions with local employers. 

Share and discuss “MasterBrand Cabinets closes Auburn plant, lays off 445 employees” on social media.