More speed: Auburn adds receiver Ja’Varrius Johnson to 2019 class

Auburn’s receiving corps just keeps getting much deeper. And faster.

Friday, while attending an Auburn camp, wide receiver Ja’Varrius Johnson committed to Auburn following an offer from Gus Malzahn.

"Extremely blessed to say I have receive an offer from Auburn University, and I want to thank coach Gus Malzahn for the opportunity to be an Auburn Tiger," Johnson in a tweet announcing his commitment. "100% committed to Auburn University, War Eagle"

The speedy in-state wide receiver is the second receiver commitment of the 2019 class, joining Hoover reciever George Pickens. At 5-foot-10, 170 pounds Johnson does not have the typical wide receiver build, but his speed separates him from the pack.

Johnson could be a good replacement to receptions-leader Ryan Davis, as both are similar in size, build and speed.

After transferring from St. Clair County High to Hewitt-Trussville, the rising high school senior caught 56 passes for 864 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Johnson is the ninth commit in Auburn's 2019 class, and with the commitment it brings Auburn’s class to No. 20 in the nation and No. 9 in the SEC, according to 247Sports. 

Share and discuss “More speed: Auburn adds receiver Ja’Varrius Johnson to 2019 class” on social media.