'Exciting time to be here': Associate VP of student living finishes first week on job

<p>Associate Vice President of Student Living&nbsp;Bryan Rush poses with his family.&nbsp;</p>

Associate Vice President of Student Living Bryan Rush poses with his family. 

Organizational shifts in the University have moved housing and dining under Student Affairs. With that change, more delegation was necessary. Cue Bryan Rush. 

Rush, now associate vice president of student living, will work under Vice President of Student Affairs Bobby Woodard. In his new role, he will work hand-in-hand with all aspects of student living from dining to housing and property management. 

Rush is originally from South Carolina and has spent the majority of his life and career in the Southeast. 

"Having heard so much from friends who had attended here and worked here, I thought, 'Well, that looks like a great opportunity,'" Rush said. 

Rush said he is happy to be in a college town once again because he enjoys the community and "eclectic lifestyle." 

The new position will lead Tiger Dining, Residence Life and Property Management. Rush will also work with strategic management. He said his biggest priority is for students to feel at home while they are on campus. 

"My vision for the areas that I work with is for us to be the premier, the preeminent — folks are going to look at us," Rush said. 

He said over the next few semesters, the "tastes" of campus will be changing. Not only food but the look and feel of on-campus housing. 

Rush said he couldn't go into specifics yet on the topic of campus living and changes to existing dorms, but that they would be one of his charges going forward. In his first few days, there has already been the conversation about transitioning campus living. 

Rush said he prioritized the student voice and individual feedback above all other and welcomes students to come to him. He has an open-door policy and wants to learn about the needs, wants and ethos of Auburn's campus. 

"I want to make sure people are heard, and we can incorporate as much as we can," Rush said. "I believe strongly in transparency. I want to make sure the decision making that takes place is transparent as it can be." 

Rush's office is in Burton Hall on The Hill. He said he is a big coffee drinker and would love to hear from students over a cup of joe on campus. 

He said he is very excited about the Starbucks food truck coming to campus this fall. 

"I think it is an exciting time to be here," Rush said. "Dr. Leath has spoken about growth and that it is something he is committed to. I think you are going to see some building take place as it relates to resident life and housing." 

Share and discuss “'Exciting time to be here': Associate VP of student living finishes first week on job” on social media.