Auburn ranked No. 10 in preseason coaches poll

The regular season’s first poll is set for Sept. 4. Last season, Auburn finished No. 12 in the final coaches poll after a 10-4 year

When examining Auburn’s returning players and incoming talent, it’s hard to argue against the Tigers as a team with an aura of confidence and leadership heading into the 2018 season.

Minus the offensive line, it’s simple to project how Auburn will line up two deep at the conclusion of fall camp. However, no matter how solid Gus Malzahn’s team is on both sides of the ball, their schedule isn’t doing them any favors. Auburn opens against near-unanimous Pac-12 favorite Washington in a venue the Tigers have dropped two straight in, and closes against national runner-up Georgia and champion Alabama in two of the last three weeks.

And if that gauntlet were to begin today, Auburn would be a top-10 team.

The Tigers were voted as the No. 10 team in the nation Thursday morning in the preseason Amway Coaches Poll, three ahead of their 2017 preseason outlook.

"Overall, I really like our team," Malzahn said at SEC Media Days in July. "I like our leaders. There's nothing like experience in our league ... I just really sense urgency and a hunger from that group."

The Crimson Tide were not dethroned, retaining the No. 1 spot after winning Nick Saban’s fifth national title since arriving in Tuscaloosa 11 years ago. Clemson, which has appeared in three straight playoffs, is drafting Alabama at No. 2. Ohio State and Georgia round out the top four.

In addition to the Tide and Bulldogs, Auburn is slated against three other ranked opponents in the poll: Washington at No. 6, Mississippi State at No. 18 and LSU at No. 24.

In terms of representation, the SEC, Big Ten and Big 12 lead with five schools in the Top 25, followed by the ACC with four, Pac-12 with three, and the American Conference, Mountain West and Independents all with once apiece.

The coaches voting panel is comprised of 65 FBS head coaches randomly selected conference by conference. The regular season’s first poll is set for Sept. 4. Last season, Auburn finished No. 12 in the final coaches poll after a 10-4 year.

Auburn’s fall camp begins Friday, with its season opener against the Huskies set for 29 days later in Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta. 

FULL TOP 25:

1. Alabama

2. Clemson

3. Ohio State

4. Georgia

5. Oklahoma

6. Washington

7. Wisconsin

8. Miami (Fla.)

9. Penn State

10. Auburn

11. Notre Dame

12. Michigan State

13. Stanford

14. Michigan

15. Southern California

16. TCU

17. Virginia Tech

18. Mississippi State

19. Florida State

20. West Virginia

21. Texas

22. Boise State

23. Central Florida

24. LSU

25. Oklahoma State 

Nathan King | Sports Editor

Nathan King, senior in journalism with a minor in business, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

Share and discuss “Auburn ranked No. 10 in preseason coaches poll ” on social media.