Auburn students complete medical training in north Alabama

<p>Auburn biomedical sciences students Bayley Atkins and Alyssa Lambert recently wrapped up a seven-week summer internship for pre-medical students.</p>

Auburn biomedical sciences students Bayley Atkins and Alyssa Lambert recently wrapped up a seven-week summer internship for pre-medical students.

The program they completed, Huntsville Rural Pre-medical Internship, is managed by the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine’s Huntsville Regional Medical Campus.

Fourteen pre-medical students from small Alabama communities are selected for the Huntsville Rural Pre-medical Internship. The goal behind the program is to inspire these competitive students to become family physicians in rural Alabama.

The internship combines shadowing experience and lectures through the Huntsville Hospital and the UAB Huntsville Regional Campus. In addition to their work there, interns take field trips to rural northern Alabama communities including Red Bay, Russellville and Scottsboro.

Interns also spend a three-week period shadowing a physician near or around their hometowns. At the program’s end, interns give a group presentation on a health or wellness topic to local healthcare professionals.

More than 70 percent of students who have completed the program since its beginning in 1992 has been accepted to medical school, and approximately 50 percent of medical graduates who have completed the program have chosen to pursue a career in rural medicine.

Share and discuss “Auburn students complete medical training in north Alabama” on social media.