Fall's first Family Friday features Mayor Bill Ham, new Steak 'n Shake food truck

“Hamburgers with Mayor Ham" drew a sizable crowd ahead of the start of classes on Monday when the new food truck will be parked by Tichenor Hall

<p>Students pick up mini milkshakes from the Steak 'n&nbsp;Shake food truck during the fall's first Family Friday on Aug. 17, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Students pick up mini milkshakes from the Steak 'n Shake food truck during the fall's first Family Friday on Aug. 17, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.

Students gathered for the first Family Friday of the semester on Friday, joining Auburn Mayor Bill Ham on the Green Space to try campus's new dining option, the Steak n Shake food truck.

“Hamburgers with Mayor Ham" drew a sizable crowd ahead of the start of classes on Monday when the new food truck will be parked by Tichenor Hall.

The food truck will continue its temporary tour on campus until the full Steak ’n Shake brick-and-mortar restaurant is ready in the Student Center. That's set to open at the beginning of the spring 2019 semester.

The morning heat did not stop crowds of students from attending the event. Many stood in long lines in order to grab a hamburger served by Ham, who was decked out in Auburn attire and happily conversing with attendees.

While standing in line, students were served mini milkshakes from the truck and given free SGA Family Friday buttons.

The event gave students the opportunity to mingle with each other, Ham and more than 15 different student organizations that partnered with SGA for the event.

Picnic blankets and lawn games were spread out across the campus green, and live music also contributed to a community atmosphere, featuring student performers.

SGA President Dane Block said the purpose of Family Fridays is to provide a practical time and place for students to experience the Auburn Family.

“We do this for the unity of the student body," Block said. "Everyone who experiences the Auburn community knows that it’s not just a cheesy saying, but that it’s a real family.”

Previous Family Friday events have been both extravagant and casual in nature, sometimes simply featuring coke floats. However, each one exists to promote the community that Auburn has to offer, allowing the student body to participate in it and experience it firsthand, Block said.

SGA Vice President Schyler Burney said future Family Friday events will likely be partnered with a specific campus organization. This intention to co-host events with a different student program for each Family Friday will showcase Auburn’s unique diversity and provide students the opportunity to connect with others from varying areas.

SGA Family Friday events will occur on the first Friday of each month throughout the school year. Stay up to date on the themes and locations of upcoming Family Fridays by following SGA on social media.

Share and discuss “Fall's first Family Friday features Mayor Bill Ham, new Steak 'n Shake food truck” on social media.