'A lot we can learn from': Tigers volleyball swept by Michigan

<p>Anna Stevenson (22) waits for the ball to be served during Auburn Volleyball vs. Michigan on Saturday, Aug. 25, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.</p>

Anna Stevenson (22) waits for the ball to be served during Auburn Volleyball vs. Michigan on Saturday, Aug. 25, 2018, in Auburn, Ala.

After their sweep of High Point on Friday night, the Tigers took on the Michigan Wolverines for their second match of the season. The Wolverines had swept High Point as well in the two teams’ matchup Saturday afternoon.

The teams started off staying within a couple of points of each other until Michigan pulled ahead 8-5. They stayed ahead for the next few plays until Auburn came back to tie it 11-11 with two aces from senior Brenna McIlroy.

Michigan would take set one, 25-22. The Wolverines combined for 18 kills with Cori Crocker, Carly Skjodt and Sydney Wetterstrom all hitting four kills each.

Set two started off much quicker for the Tigers with a quick 4-1 lead. The Wolverines were able to tie it 5-5, but Auburn got their multi-point lead back 8-6 after back-to-back kills from McIlroy.

The Tigers lost the lead 17-15 and Michigan would go on to win the set 25-20.

The roles reversed in set three as Michigan took the quick lead. Auburn came back to take a 14-11 lead with an ace from libero Bella Rosenthall and kills from Taylor Rowland and Mica Allison.

The Wolverines prevailed though and won the set 25-22. They took the match with a 3-0 sweep of the Tigers.

Rosenthall finished the night with 19 digs and one assist. Allison helped lead the team with her 29 assists and three kills.

“Both those guys being freshman, they’re learning a lot as we go,” head coach Rick Nold said. “To play a match like this, this early in their career, is important for them.”

McIlroy had another well-rounded night with eight digs and 12 kills, while another freshman, Taylor Rowland, came through with three timely kills. Middle blockers Anna Stevenson and Gwyn Jones each had five kills, as did outside hitter Tatum Shipes.

On the Wolverines’ side, captains Jenne Lerg and Skjodt shined. Skjodt finished the night with 14 kills and seven digs. Lerg had 24 digs and four assists.

Even though the outcome is not what was desired, Nold does see a potential positive from the sweep.

“If we learn something from it, then that can help us,” Nold said, “You got to worry about the next game and preparing for that. I think we got a lot we can learn from tonight.”

Auburn will travel to Indianapolis, Indiana, for their next set of matches at the Butler Invitational. On Friday, Aug. 31, the Tigers will face Butler University at 6 p.m. C.T.

Share and discuss “'A lot we can learn from': Tigers volleyball swept by Michigan” on social media.