With freedom at the line of scrimmage, Jarrett Stidham is 'more explosive'

<p>Jarrett Stidham
Auburn football practice on Saturday, Aug. 4, 2018 in Auburn, Ala.
Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics </p>

Jarrett Stidham Auburn football practice on Saturday, Aug. 4, 2018 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Kam Martin and Jarrett Stidham probably thought this was going to happen in Texas, not Alabama.

Entering the 2018 seasons as juniors, the duo will likely be Auburn’s starters at running back and quarterback, respectively. But in 2016, both weren’t sure what their gridiron futures held.

After signing his letter of intent with Baylor, Martin, along with several other players, were granted NCAA release without penalty from the Bears program after head coach Art Briles was suspended with intent to terminate amid the school’s now-infamous sexual assault scandal. The former No. 1 running back in the Lone Star State chose to sign with Auburn and contributed immediately as a No. 3 back in 2016.

Stidham distanced himself from the program’s toxicity earlier. After the 2015 season, the Texan transferred from Baylor to McLennan Community College. He didn’t officially play football there but was still heralded as the No. 1 JUCO prospect. Stidham chose Auburn over Florida and Texas A&M.

Stidham quickly stood out in the quarterback race and earned the starting job for 2017, while Martin again was the third tailback behind Kerryon Johnson and Kamryn Pettway.

Now, the teammates — and close friends — will trot out as starters together for the first time.

“It’s really exciting,” Martin said Sunday. “Me and Jarrett have always been tight. I was one of the main reasons he came over here (from Baylor). Even at Baylor, I helped him get over there, then I helped him get to Auburn. It’s pretty cool to play in the backfield with Jarrett.”

Gus Malzahn, along with multiple other coaches on Auburn’s staff, have reiterated since the spring that Martin will be the first running back on the field when Auburn takes on Washington on Sept. 1 in Atlanta. Off 74 attempts, Martin returns as Auburn’s top rusher at 453 yards and two scores, as well as receiving touchdown.

After a shoulder injury held him out of spring ball, Stidham is back at the forefront of the Tigers offense. With the second 3,000-yard passing season in program history under his belt, Stidham has been given more offensive freedom — in terms of checks and audibles — by Malzahn and offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey.

And with fall camp wrapped up and only 13 days until the season-opener, that freedom has paid dividends for the improvement of Stidham’s game.

“He’s more explosive this year,” Martin said. “He’s taking the charge. He has the remote to the offense, more power this year.”

In addition to the second-most passing yards ever in a single season, Stidham touted the SEC’s highest completion percentage (66.5) by season’s end. The explosiveness that Martin alluded to began taking shape towards the end of year, when the QB took more read options himself, resulting in back-breaking rushing scores against Georgia (Nov. 11) and Alabama.

"I'm extremely excited about it," Stidham said at SEC Media Days of his offensive freedom. "They've kind of promised me, 'Hey you're going to have more freedom at the line' ... I think now with playing for a year, having experience, I know a little bit more football this year and I know what to expect and I know what the coaches are looking for."

Nathan King | Sports Editor

Nathan King, senior in journalism with a minor in business, is The Plainsman's sports editor.

Share and discuss “With freedom at the line of scrimmage, Jarrett Stidham is 'more explosive' ” on social media.