Ben Bartley / COPY EDITOR

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Molenveld Brings Passion

Young Myrthe Molenveld was a soccer coach's daughter and potential soccer star living in the Netherlands.Now, she is a tennis player at a Division I school in Alabama.Her winding life path began at 7 when she discovered her athletic calling."I saw everybody playing tennis around me and on TV and in the newspaper, and I liked what the girls were wearing," Molenveld said.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Check-out for Charity Urges Donations

The University is encouraging all on-campus residents to donate unwanted but still reusable items to the Salvation Army and East Alabama Food Bank beginning tomorrow.Check-out for Charity, which started about 15 years ago, is trying to capitalize on excess items left behind when students migrate home for summer.

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Spring Spurs Lackadaisical, Lively to Action

Fall, football and crisp afternoons give way to pools, sunscreen and new activities spring semester."I like to go to Chewacla and hike down to the waterfall and kind of rock climb around there and go swimming out in the lake," said Courtney Dryden, senior in communications, "because I'm not great at team sports, sports with balls."A popular ball-less spring activity is flinging frisbee around campus."I like it, but I can't throw anything in a straight line," Dyrden said.Jessica Anderson, freshman in pre-nursing, said she enjoys throwing frisbee to relax, but she has never played ultimate frisbee.In her youth, Anderson said she enjoyed playing pick-up basketball."I was a tomboy, so I played basketball with the boys in the neighborhood," Anderson said.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Auburn Returns To Launchpad Finals

Tomorrow, a team of Auburn students will join eight other teams from colleges around Alabama in Huntsville to participate in a competition awarding innovative business plans.The Alabama Launchpad Governor's Business Plan Competition will award $175,000 to the top three teams, $100,000 of which will go to the winning team."(The competition) helps to stimulate new business development and job creation and helps to get our technologies that are developing out of the University and in the private sector up and running," said John Weete, assistant vice president for technology transfer.Auburn's teams, including this year's team, Construction Solutions, have made the finals all four years of the competition's history.Steve Williams, professor in building science, said Construction Solutions is an entrepreneur in conjunction with Auburn University and has proposed a business which will take ideas generated by students, make the product and sell it."(Construction Solutions) submitted to (the competition) and focused on our efforts to create a business plan and to also win and get some seed money and the momentum to form a company to bring some of these products to market," said Brian Wright, associate director for commercialization in the office of technology transfer.The annual Auburn team is organized around an interdisciplinary class started in fall 2006.Wright said the basic plan is to use the class as an R&D engine to create new products to keep Construction Solutions maintained."(The class) is a collaboration between building science students and industrial design students," said Williams, one of the founders of the class.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Stimulus Funds Make Building Exit 50 Possible

A long-planned Auburn interchange has officially been given the go-ahead for construction.Exit 50, known as the Auburn Technology Park Exchange, has been part of the city of Auburn's plan for years, but lack of funds delayed construction."Just recently funds were put back from the federal government to the state for major highway projects," said City Manager Charlie Duggan.

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Gray Duo Leads Women's Tennis

Auburn Women's Tennis is led by a dynamic duo, a husband and wife team of tennis teachers. Assistant coach Christine Gray has teamed with her husband, head coach Tim Gray, for the last two years to lead the women of Auburn tennis.

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Auburn Announced New Basketball Coach

The Auburn Athletic Department has announced Tony Barbee will be the next head coach of the Auburn Men's Basketball team. "We are thrilled to welcome Tony Barbee into the Auburn Family," said Athletics Director Jay Jacobs in a press release Wednesday night. Barbee, 38, has been the head men's basketball coach at the University of Texas-El Paso for the past four years, compiling an 82-52 record and taking the Miners from 10th in Conference USA in 2006 to first in 2010. "Coach Barbee has a vision of competing for championships at Auburn, and the passion to get us there," Jacobs said in the press release. "He is a phenomenal coach, an outstanding recruiter and a fierce competitor." Barbee will be officially introduced as head coach Thursday in a press conference in the new Auburn Arena.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Foreign confusion

Take a step back and look at America.Sure, driving on the right side of the road, infomercials, reality TV and football all seem normal, to Americans at least.But what does America look like when seen through the eyes of a foreign student?"I had to come to terms with the football," said Prasanna Ravishankar, a recent Auburn graduate originally from India.

More articles »