Brittany Cosby / Staff Writer

News

Breaking the silence about sexual assault

The Alabama Department of Public Health Office will observe April as Sexual Assault Awareness Month.Auburn University's Safe Harbor and the Women's Resource Center have co-hosted several events on campus to raise awareness for dating violence and all forms of sexual abuse.Safe Harbor is a part of Student Counseling Service.The organization is committed to reducing men's violence against women by increasing awareness about dating/domestic violence, stranger rape, acquaintance rape, sexual harassment and other forms of sexual violence.Raising awareness on college campuses is essential because one in four college-age women will be a victim of sexual assault at some point in their college careers.

Campus

Auburn Gay-Straight Alliance dresses in drag

The Auburn Gay-Straight Alliance hosted its first drag show, "What a Drag," in the Student Center Saturday.Guys put on wigs and dresses and girls wore baggy pants and bandanas to raise awareness for the need to add a gender identity clause to the nondiscrimination policy at Auburn.The "girls" arrived in the afternoon to start getting ready for the big show.The boys added false eyelashes, high heels and flashy jewelry to top off the look.The room was decked out with a light up disco ball and a complete refreshments table."Donations will go towards trying to push the nondiscrimination clause to include gender identity," said Stephen Davis, a sophomore in theatre.

Campus

Students enjoy dancing in Student Center

Students danced across the Foy ballroom during a night of fun, food and friendly competition.UPC and the Auburn Latino Association of Students hosted "Salsa Magic and Fiesta Latina" in the Foy Ballroom April 16."The purpose of throwing the fiesta is we wanted to deepen the understanding of Latino culture and current issues concerning Latinos on campus and in the community," said Vivian Aparicio, president of ALAS.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

DNA tests replaces Pap smear

A new DNA test to detect human papillomarvirus, the virus that causes cervical cancer, is outperforming older methods, and gynecologists hope it will replace them altogether.Women over 30 have to get annual Pap smears to test for the virus.

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Finney's homers lift Tigers over Hogs

The Auburn softball team took its series against Arkansas 2-1 Sunday, bringing its record to 27-13 overall and 7-7 in the Southeastern Conference.The 5-4 win was secured by Myesha Finney's two-run home run in the top of the seventh inning.The teams split the double header Saturday, with Auburn winning the opening game 4-3, but losing the second game 4-2."Myesha played outstanding against Florida in our last series," said Auburn head coach Tina Deese.

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Tigers score 11 runs late to win Bulldog series

The Auburn baseball team defeated the Mississippi State Bulldogs 12-10 Sunday afternoon in Starkville to make their record 20-10 overall and 6-6 in the Southeastern Conference.The Tigers were down by six runs in the bottom of the fourth.Auburn answered with 11 runs, scoring six runs in the fifth, two in the seventh and three in the eighth to claim its first series win at Mississippi State since 2003."We were down 8-2 early, and it looked like we didn't have anything going, and we were playing poor baseball," said Auburn head coach John Pawlowski.

Campus

Sasnett Hall wins Sustain-A-Bowl

Auburn is doing its part to go green this spring as residents on the Quad and Hill participated in the Sustain-A-Bowl competition."We created the Sustain-A-Bowl as a contest to give students the incentive to help out the environment in a fun way," said Donald Addison, the Environmental Awareness Organization sponsor.

More articles »