Christian Becraft / Staff Writer

The Auburn Plainsman
Columns

Television Review: The Scoop on 'In the Loop'

Director Armando Iannucci described "In the Loop", a spinoff of his BBC series "The Thick of It", as an "anti-West Wing" in that it presents political bustle without the glamour of idealism.I, however, think it shares a closer analogue with another television series, The Office.It's hard not to think of Ricky Gervais' landmark series as hand-held cameras zip through the offices of staffers and low-ranking members of both the British and American governments.The film's protagonist, Minister of International Development Simon Foster (Tom Hollander), suffers from the same foot-in-mouth disease that perennially hampered David Brent.Of course, when Brent fouled up, he didn't aid the start of the Iraq War.Foster set off a media storm when he said in an interview that the possibility of an upcoming war in Iraq is "unforeseeable."He immediately reports to Director of Communications Malcolm Turner (Peter Capaldi), a blisteringly profane Scot who informs Foster of his error.So Foster should have said war was foreseeable, then?Well, no.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Web site alerts best pee breaks in current movies

Fingers crossed, foot tapping, legs wrapped, anxiously praying the scene following Optimus Prime and Megatron's fight includes boring dialogue.RunPee.com gives moviegoers the opportunity to not think twice about making a trip to the bathroom or getting a refreshing cola for their movie experience by letting them know when it's the perfect time to use the restroom."I enjoy movies a lot less when I have to go to the bathroom because that is all I can focus on," said Caroline Neel, a junior in human development and family studies.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Students volunteer after graduation

Regardless of their college degree, some graduates are skipping the get-rich quick trend and experiencing a call for something different, work and to serve others.Organizations such as Teach For America and the Peace Corps allow graduates to be placed in an unfamiliar culture, one that is most often struggling to emerge out of its slumping conditions, to help better the culture's resources.Auburn graduate Amy Klinner is now in her first year of service with Teach For America.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Sororities duke it out to win Derby Days

Posters, billboards, glitter and war paint. As the countdown closed at midnight, girls from all sororities raced around the Sigma Chi lawn showing their sorority poster paraphernalia in support of the fraternity's philanthropic event Derby Days.Derby Days is Sigma Chi's annual week-long event to raise money for its philanthropy the Children's Miracle Network.Zach Moore, a sophomore in accounting and this year's Derby Days chair, said the week is packed with fundraisers.A specific restaurant donates a portion of its profits to the Children's Miracle Network each day.Sigma Chi also hosts an activity each night for the sororities to participate in."We try to make it as fun as possible," Moore said.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Online membership fees could be increasing

For surfers, window browsing and procrastination blogging could soon get costly. Though some rumors might waive, for other Web sites like kodak.com and its online photo services or even rumors of a Facebook membership fee, charging users might be a new trend.As technology becomes more digital, making written journals and printed photos obsolete, companies are looking for better ways to make a profit off of their Web site's services.Kodak Gallery's new online rule has some customers in shock.According to an Associated Press article, if users don't pay the new fee for what used to be a free online photo-album service, the company will delete all its members' photos.This fee can range from $4.99, the price for storing pictures that require less than two gigabytes, to $19.99, if members store more than two GB of photos.However, if customers purchase a product within this set standard, their "free" photo storage will be fine.Kodak is not the only company to start charging its users in hopes to a make profit, after covering the cost for sites and services.According to a Reuters article, Newsday, a newspaper that serves Long Island, N.Y., and the surrounding suburb area announced it will soon phase into charging online readers.Because of the decrease in bought papers and increase in online browsing, newspapers are reverting back to offering its articles only for its subscribers.Other Web site utilities, such as social networking services and journal and blogging Web pages, are starting to test the waters with a membership fee.But the biggest concern that has rippled rumors throughout its network regards the social networking utility Facebook.Farhad Manjoo, author and staff writer for slate.com, wrote an article on how Facebook could soon charge its high-activity users, that is, those who have many friends and applications.Charging for its services will make the site better profit than what it makes from mostly advertisements.However, Manjoo said in an e-mail interview that he does not think Facebook would thrive as well if it did start to charge its members."It seems natural to me that if Facebook did start charging, a lot of people would quit," Manjoo said.

Sullivan Britnell, a  7-year-old cystic fibrosis patient, swam 50 meters in the Laps for Cystic Fibrosis event in Auburn Saturday. JD Schein / Photo Editor
Sports

Laps for CF a success

The cheers echoing from the Martin Aquatics Center Saturday morning were not just in spirit of Auburn's NCAA swim team.Instead, the encouraging sounds were for 7-year-old Cystic Fibrosis patient Sullivan Britnell as he swam a 50-meter lap, finishing up the Laps for CF event.Saturday marked Auburn University's fifth year participating in Laps for CF, an organization and event founded because of one patient's efforts to help raise money for research, as well as a financial support for families who struggle with CF.Emily Schreiber, 16, from Birmingham, was diagnosed with CF when she was 9 years old, and, at this age, she started the foundation Laps for CF.What began as her pledge to swim laps for each individual and business's donation to the cause has now turned into an event involving the community and swim and dive team, like Saturday's event held at Auburn."The swim team, they are all such great athletes," Schreiber said.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Auburn turns down PACT's request for help

The Prepaid Alabama College Tuition fund program is seeking a lending hand. However, the recession has most individuals and organizations working ambidextrously.Recently, the PACT Board asked schools throughout Alabama to offer a tuition discount for students involved in the PACT program.Officials at University of South Alabama, the University of Alabama System and Auburn University declined the proposal because they are not in a stable financial position to help out.Deedie Dowdle, executive director of the Office of Communications & Marketing, said as everything stands right now, Auburn University is expecting a $39 million shortfall for the upcoming fiscal year.With this potential loss, Auburn students should expect an increase in tuition this fall.

Campus

Chef's Table adds variety to food choices

On-campus dining is whipping up new options for students as it looks for different menu items to cater to students' different appetites.At the Chef's Table, Roberto Mewdoza, an executive chef for on-campus dining, said he knows students can quickly get tired of the same menu options.Mewdoza helps prepare the meals and new events for each upcoming week."I try and not to repeat the menus," Mewdoza said.

More articles »