Claire Tully | Campus Writer

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Students honored during memorial ceremony

In memory of Eric Jaegge, Dakota Parker and Justin Latting Weimer, Auburn students and faculty, as well as friends and family gathered together in the Student Center Ballroom to celebrate the lives of the three students who’d passed during this school year. Bobby Woodard, associate provost and vice president for student affairs, opened the memorial ceremony and offered his condolences to the family and friends in attendance. “For 17 years I’ve been in this field and these ceremonies never get any better...situations like this are never easy,” Woodard said. Woodard then read the poem “The Dash” by Linda Ellis, where Ellis describes the time between birth and death as a ‘dash’, or the time that matters. “I hope you understand that here at Auburn University, the people sitting in this room are honored to be a part of your sons’ ‘dash’,” Woodard said.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

​#AUTogether spreads following Campus Climate Survey

The 2016 Campus Climate Survey final report was recently released, and those students that participated called for a cultural change in Auburn that provides more inclusion and sense of belonging. Julie Huff, Provost Office director of strategic initiatives and communications, said diversity is perceived differently now than it was during Auburn’s 2003 Campus Climate Survey. “I think that we as a society operationalize or we define diversity differently now,” Huff said.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

How not to study for finals

Every student is faced with the difficult task of preparing for finals week at the end of each semester, and it’s made even more stressful when one is uncertain about which study habits will facilitate success. Hannah Hashimi, Study Partners lead tutor and senior in chemistry, said one of the biggest mistakes students make is to get caught up in the hype of finals week. “The library is often a fun and exciting place where students come and commiserate with each other rather than studying,” Hashimi said.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

New ​Peace Corps recruiter returns to The Plains

Amanda Denney, 2008 Auburn graduate in secondary English language arts, served in the Peace Corps in 2012 for two years in Burkina Faso, West Africa, and is now dedicating her time to being a recruiter for the international development program. Denney will be stationed in Auburn, but will be a resource to people throughout the state of Alabama for those interested in entering the Peace Corps.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

​Chick-N-Grill to leave campus

SGA has spoken about several dining changes in the last couple of weeks with talk of Einstein Bagel’s to be put in the Haley Center and Panera Bread to be brought to the new Mell Street Classroom. However, they are now discussing more changes to be made to dining in the Student Center.

More articles »