David McKinney | Assistant Sports Editor

Auburn Basketball
Sports

Alex Thompson will transfer

Per a report from ESPN's Jeff Goodman. Thompson, a sophomore averaged 2.7 points per game and 1.9 rebounds. The sophomore forward began at Auburn as a walk-on but was awarded a scholarship under former coach Tony Barbee. Thompson's best performance on the Plains came in the first round of this year's SEC tournament when he had 16 points and three rebounds against Mississippi State.

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Softball finishes Arkansas series with third run-rule win

Have mercy. That’s what Arkansas needed all weekend at Jane B. Moore field, as the juggernaut that is Auburn softball’s offense kept their foot on the gas , as they have all season, and continued to pour on the runs. Sunday, the Tigers finished the sweep of the Razorbacks by way of a 10-2 win, mercy ruling the hogs in every game of the series. Head coach Clint Myers was understandably pleased with his team’s performance in their final home series of 2015. “I thought it was a great weekend,” Myers said.

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Softball blows out Arkansas to kickoff weekend

Auburn softball matched their last-season win total Friday, by way of a 9-1 mercy rule win over SEC west foe Arkansas. Auburn (42-8) started slow, but saw runs come in bunches in the bottom of the sixth, and had stellar pitching all night from Marcy Harper, who went all six innings, allowing only four hits and notching five strikeouts. “Marcy threw phenomenal,” said head coach Clint Myers.

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Reed sentenced to 15 days

Auburn center Trayvon Reed has been sentenced to 15 days in jail for a second-degree misdemeanor assault charge, which he pled guilty to in December, after being arrested in July following an altercation with a police office in College Park, Maryland. In a statement released Wednesday, head coach Bruce Pearl said that “Trayvon understands that he must be held accountable for his actions.” Pearl went on to say that he is proud of how Reed is learning from mistakes and taking advantage of the opportunity he’s been given at Auburn.

Jonathan Wallace enters the field before the 2013 Iron Bowl.  Wallace recently moved from quarterback to wide receiver. (File photo)
Sports

Former starting QB finds new home

Jonathan Wallace has seen it all during his time on the Plains. From starting quarterback on a 3-9 team in 2012 to a backup on an SEC championship team, Wallace has moved down the line of scrimmage and become a wide receiver in his final year. “It was really a personal decision for me,” Wallace said.

More articles »

MULTIMEDIA

This Week in Sports | 3.6.15

This week, sports editor Eric Wallace and assistant sports editor David McKinney discuss pro day, baseball, gymnastics and all other happenings in Auburn sports.Eric Wallace | Sports Editor David McKinney | Assistant Sports Editor Kris Sims | Multimedia Editor

More media »