Kendyl Hollingsworth | Community Writer

The Auburn Plainsman
Community

10th-Annual Mayors Ball benefits Boys & Girls Clubs

Attendees of the 10th-Annual Mayors Jeans & Jackets Ball on Thursday, April 30, enjoyed an elegant evening of music and fine dining to benefit the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Lee County. The evening at the event center in downtown Opelika kicked off with a cocktail hour, during which the Atlanta-based jazz band 1st Generation performed, and guests could mingle and bid on various items in a silent auction.

The Auburn Plainsman
Community

“The Bottle” to receive historic marker dedication

The site of an iconic Auburn structure, The Bottle, will receive a historic marker dedication from the Auburn Heritage Association to celebrate its status as a piece of Auburn history. The event will take place at The Bottle’s original location at the corner of North College Street and US Highway 280 on Saturday, April 25, at 2:30 p.m. The Bottle was originally built in 1924 by John Williams of the Nehi Bottling Company in Opelika, according to AHA’s spring 2015 newsletter.

The Auburn Plainsman
Community

Local teen chases her dream, releases first album titled ‘Colorful’

One Opelika teen has recently taken her dream of becoming a professional musician to the next level with the release of her first original album, “Colorful.” Abby Miracle, 16, plays ukulele and guitar and has been singing and writing her own songs since she was in elementary school. Abby said she plans to release an EP record this fall and “write songs until I run out of ideas, then write about other people’s stories.” “She did her very first solo in church, and when she was in the kindergarten choir, she was hand-selected by the minister of music to sing with the adult choir at Christmas time,” said Carol Ann Miracle, Abby’s mother. Abby was 6 years old when she first sang at First Baptist Church. “I sang ‘Happy Birthday, Jesus’ in front of, like, a thousand people,” Abby said. Carol Ann said she has noticed a richer tone in her daughter’s voice every year, as well as more security in her performances. “She’s just grown to the point where she knows this is what she’s meant to do forever in some capacity,” Carol Ann said.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

AU Singers to perform at Kreher’s Music in the Forest

The AU Singers will entertain the public with song and dance as part of a concert series hosted by the Kreher Preserve and Nature Center on Saturday, April 11, at 4:30 p.m. The Music in the Forest series is a collaboration between the preserve and the department of music to provide the community with musical entertainment while benefitting KPNC’s children’s educational programs and AUMD’s student scholarship fund. “I’ve always enjoyed the energetic AU Singers and know firsthand how much time and effort is put into their performances,” said Sarah Collins, administrative assistant for the department of music.

More articles »