Mary-Glenn Smith/ Staff Writer

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Is Santa Claus Legend a Supposed Ho! Ho! Hoax?

Most Auburn students found out years ago that the big, bearded, jolly man dressed in red known as Santa Claus is not real.For some it was traumatic, but others didn't seem to mind that the man who left presents beneath the tree on Christmas Eve, while the flying reindeer waited on the rooftop, was actually their parents.Growing up, nearly everyone sat on Santa's lap at the mall, wrote him letters to tell him exactly what to bring them for Christmas and even baked cookies and put them out with milk for him to snack on as he left their presents under the Christmas tree.Then came the day when they found out it was all just a lie.

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

No. 1 Auburn Equestrian Topples to No. 2 Georgia, 12-8

Auburn's Equestrian team was defeated 12-8 by SEC rival Georgia Friday in the final match of the fall season.Auburn traveled to Bishop, Ga., just outside of Athens, to the University of Georgia's equestrian center, for the meet.Auburn knew going into the meet that Georgia had only been beat once at its home equestrian center, so it was going to be a tough competition. "We knew we had to go big or go home," said sophomore Hunt Seat rider Maggie McAlary.Though they rode hard, the No.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Santa Arrives at Village Mall for Christmas

It's not even Thanksgiving yet, but Santa Claus has already arrived at Auburn's Village Mall.Santa, along with Mrs. Claus, arrived by horse and carriage at the mall's main entrance Friday at 7 p.m."I have been here since 1995 and Santa has been here every year I have been here," said Village Mall Marketing Director Terri Knight.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Auburn alum speaks on campus

"Where will you be in 2069 - 60 years from now?"That was the question moderator Mark Wilson, assistant director for the Center of Art and Humanities, asked a room full of Auburn students who had gathered to hear Daniel J. Meador speak Tuesday in the Student Center.In 1949, Meador, a native of Greenville, graduated from Auburn with a B.S. degree in pre-law.Sixty years later, the distinguished alum was back on campus to discuss his life and many accomplishments since graduating from the University.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Tiger Nights Hits the Deck

The Auburn University Student Center looked more like a sunken pirate ship than the usual student union building Friday night.Treasure chests, spyglasses, treasure maps, eye patches, hooks, fake swords and treasures of gold decorated the Student Center for "Tiger Nights Hits the Deck," pirate-themed event. "We do all this for the students," said Leah Colvin, junior in interior design and UPC member.

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Women's soccer defeats Ole Miss for first time since 2004

Auburn defeated Ole Miss 2-1 in round one of the SEC soccer championship in Orange Beach Wednesday.Auburn went into the tournament 6-5-0 in regular season conference play and ranked third in the SEC West and sixth overall."We did a great job of finding a way to win," head coach Karen Hoppa said in a press release. "Ole Miss is a great team and they played a great game, our girls just did a fantastic job of getting better from last weekend. We scored goals when we needed to and we did a great job of ending the game; the last 10 to 15 minutes, not giving them a good look and getting out of here with a 2-1 win."

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Auburn Baseball Holds Fall Classic

The gray team swept the series by defeating the white team in all three games of Auburn baseball's annual Fall World Series at Plainsman Park Thursday, Friday and Sunday.Since the beginning of fall semester, Auburn has been dividing into two teams for weekly intrasquad scrimmages."This fall we have made some really good progress as a team; just getting to know everyone since we have a whole new recruiting class this season," said shortstop Casey McElroy.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

OTS Hosts Haunted House for Students

With Halloween quickly approaching, students around Auburn are searching for costumes ideas, planning parties, carving pumpkins and anything else to get prepared for this spooky holiday.Many people will also be out and about looking for place to find a good scare at a local haunted house.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Blount County brings quilting tradition to new members

The Blount County Quilters' Guild is a non-profit organization made up of members who all share the same passion -- quilting."This guild was formed in 1988 with the goal of promoting the art and quality of quilting through friendship, knowledge and encouragement to others," said Joyce Foster, president of The Blount County Quilters' Guild.The quilters' guild has about 45 members, ranging from teens to 89 years old that are both male and female and the guild is always open to accepting new members interested in creating quilts.The group of quilters does other things in addition to stitching and sewing pieces of fabrics into unique patterns, which ultimately end up as quality, handmade quilts.The group generously donates the money raised from events to local charities.Each year The Blount County Quilters' Guild has a quilt show as a fundraiser to raise money for charitable service projects."The money we raise goes to various charities and for three $1,000 scholarships for high school seniors in Blount County," Foster said.

More articles »