Patrick Dever / ASSOCIATE SPORTS EDITOR

Sports

Softball Overcomes JSU, 8-5

The Auburn Softball team welcomed south the Jacksonville State University Gamecocks on a chilly Tuesday evening.Auburn's bats, however, were not cold, as the Tigers scored eight runs on eight hits, downing Jacksonville State, 8-5.Auburn coach Tina Deese said she was proud of the team's determination during the game."I'm really proud of the eight runs first and foremost," Deese said.Auburn got off to a quick start as sophomore designated hitter Amber Harrison hit a homerun that just cleared the right field wall.Redshirt sophomore Angel Bunner was in the pitcher's circle for the Tigers.The Gamecocks scored two runs in the top of the fifth inning, bringing Bunner's night to an end.Bunner pitched four and one-third innings, giving up six hits and two runs.Senior pitcher Anna Thompson came in to relieve Bunner.Thompson gave up a two-run home run to the first batter she faced, Jacksonville State freshman Kelci Johnston, bringing the score to4-4.Deese said she was hoping her team wouldn't falter and get past the inning."You can't get a big enough lead at this point," Deese said.

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Men's Golf In The Rough

Auburn Men's Golf returns to the central time zone after a weekend at the SEC Championship at Sea Island, Ga.The Tigers finished seventh overall, with senior Cole Moreland finishing tied for 12th individually."Overall, it was probably our worst ball-striking week of the year," said Auburn coach Nick Clinard.

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Soccer Plays Friendlies

This past weekend, Auburn soccer continued its spring season in Orlando.The Tigers played games against the Mexican National Team and the University of Central Florida, losing the first and tying in the second.The Mexican National Team defeated Auburn 3-2 in a game that needed a stoppage time goal to determine a winner.The next day, Auburn played the UCF Golden Knights to a 0-0 draw.Freshman goalkeeper Amy Howard said the team was proud of its play, but not of the outcome of the games."We played well in both games," Howard said.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Lack Of Funding Delays Skate Park

It has been a few years since the hey day of Tony Hawk and other professional skateboarders, but skateboarding hasn't lost much ground.Auburn skaters, however, do not have a place to call their own.The Auburn City Council approved plans for a skate park to be built on Glenn Avenue in October 2009.Six months later, approval is the most ground the skate park has gained.Greg Darden, development manager for Donald H.

The Auburn Plainsman
Sports

Tourney Should Stay At 65

After watching the NCAA basketball tournament championship Monday night, I was left without the feeling of there being a national champion.Duke won the game, but I feel like Butler won the tournament.The tournament that had 65 teams.Talk has been circulating around the NCAA about expanding the tournament to include 96 teams.Why would the NCAA want to do that?College basketball already suffers enough by beginning the season while football season is still going on.The regular season is also usually looked over until February when people are looking up statistics for teams they think will be playing in late March.With the expansion to 96 teams, the tournament would lose the lore it has held since the previous expansions in 1985 to 64 and 2001 to 65.They say the tournament will keep the three-week format, but would add another round.The top 32 seeds would also get byes, negating any chance for a first-round upset of a No.

More articles »