Sarah Phillips / STAFF REPORTER

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Girl's Guide: Women's health risks

Many women have a tendency to overlook minor health precautions, but small symptoms can lead to major problems and can prove to be fatal if ignored.Mary Kay Burdette, clinical manager for Lee Obstetrics & Gynecology, said many women have a problem with being in tune with their own bodies."The number one cause of death in women is heart disease," Burdette said.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

A True Auburn Family of 27

Many families have found themselves celebrating their Auburn heritage with tailgating and get-togethers, but a particular family began to come together more often to keep the tradition alive while celebrating the life they still have.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Sustain-a-Bowl Announces Winners

After four weeks of a closely watched competition, three residential halls have been named the winners of the 2010 Sustain-a-Bowl.With more than 4,000 students competing in each of Auburn's 30 residence halls, having three winners share the fame is still a large accomplishment for each building.In the Quad, the winner was Lupton Hall.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Girl's Guide: Defending Against Attack

There's always been the joke of women going to the bathroom in groups because they need to gossip, but this ritual may actually be saving lives.It's a basic known fact that women are more vulnerable to being assaulted when alone, but that doesn't mean they're helpless.In fact, Auburn University women have a unique opportunity to take a women's self-defense class in order to prepare themselves for a life threatening situation.Andrea Bartels, R.A.D.

The Auburn Plainsman
Campus

Fraternities prep for spring formals

Although spring break can be an outrageous trip that many men look forward to, for the men of the Auburn fraternity system, a spring formal holds a whole week's worth of fun in one amazing weekend.For these men, fall formals are considered to be simple fun.They may have a party at their fraternity house with their dates, or travel to a local Auburn mansion, but when it comes to planning for the spring, there are no limits.Throughout the fall, many fraternities are busy each weekend spending money on band parties and tailgates.Most have parties with big-name bands to draw the people in to have a good time before or after the football game and on gameday there is always the guarantee of free drinks for fraternity members' families and friends.But when spring semester finally comes, these boys are ready for the intense fun to begin."Formals are a fun weekend outside of Auburn with a bunch of your friends," said Nate Welch, senior in engineering and member of Phi Kappa Tau.

The Auburn Plainsman
News

Battle of the sexes cause questions in college admissions, gender ratio

When a high school senior begins applying to colleges, there are many questions that pop into their mind, but one of the biggest seems to be, "Will I meet someone?"For most it can mean friends, but for many it means finding the love of their life they will hope to marry and live happily ever after with--the complete college fairy tale.But with some universities having more women than men applying, finding a date can be harder than it should be.Fortunately for incoming Auburn freshmen, the ratio of men to women in applications, acceptance and enrollment is close to 50/50.In addition, the numbers of each gender is continually growing.Drew Clark, director of assessment for the office of institutional research and assessment, explained that most universities are seeing an increase of applicants of both sexes due to updated admissions resources."It's cheap," Clark said.

More articles »