VanGorder has coached the linebacker unit at many of his coaching stops and will likely assume that role with the Tigers.
During his time at Georgia, he won the Broyles Award in 2003 for his defense that ranked third in scoring defense, fourth in total defense and sixth in passing defense. VanGorder's defenses finished in the top 10 three of his four years on the job.
The Falcons' season ended Saturday with a 24–2 loss to the New York Giants. His defense was ranked 20th overall in the NFL against the pass and sixth against the run. The Falcons gave up an average of 22 points per game this season.
Brian VanGorder's coaching career
- 2008–11: Defensive Coordinator, Atlanta Falcons
- 2007: Linebackers, Atlanta Falcons
- 2006: Coach, Georgia Southern
- 2005: Linebackers, Jaguars
- 2001–04: Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers, Georgia
- 2000: Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers, Central Michigan
- 1998–99: Defensive Coordinator, Central Michigan
- 1997: Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator, Central Florida
- 1995–96: Linebackers/Special Teams Coordinator, Central Florida
- 1992–94: Head Coach, Wayne State
- 1989–91: Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers, Grand Valley State