Men’s golf ranked No. 2 nationally, features several individual medalists
by Robert E. Lee / SPORTS BEAT REPORTER
Feb 16, 2012 | 1080 views | 0 0 comments | 10 10 recommendations | email to a friend | print
The No. 2 men’s golf team has several individuals in the spotlight this season.

After winning the Gator Invitational in Gainesville, Fla., Sunday, junior Dominic Bozzelli was named Player of the Week by golfweek.com and Golf World magazine.

Coach Nick Clinard commented on his team’s victory after the tournament.

“We had a great weekend, and I am extremely proud of Dominic and the entire team,” Clinard said. “They have all worked diligently on their games both mentally and physically. Dominic is starting to take his game to the next level, and I hope others will follow his lead.”

Individually, Bozelli won his second-straight title after shooting a 64, or six-under, in the second round and par in the final round, putting him in first place.

Junior Blayne Barber was named to the 2012 Ben Hogan Award watchlist, an award presented annually to the top men’s player in every NCAA division and the NAIA and NJCAA.

Barber, also named a semifinalist for the award last season, participated in three tournaments this fall and finished in the top-20 in all three.

With his second-straight top-five performance of the season, Barber recovered from shooting six-over in the second round to finish one-under par in the Gator Invitational.

Barber is also ranked 10th in the Scratch Players World Amateur Ranking.

The Tigers were also selected to win the Southeastern Conference by golfweek.com, ahead of No. 6 Arkansas and No. 8 Alabama.

“It is a nice compliment to our team, and they have worked hard,” Clinard said. “However, we have to be tougher mentally and better physically to have the opportunity to compete for the SEC Championship this April. We have lots of work ahead for us to be great.”

The program has yielded successful talent for a number of years. Former Tiger Jason Dufner has shown promise in his professional career, finishing eighth in the Feb. 5 Waste Management Phoenix Open in Scottsdale, Ariz., in his first top-10 performance of the season.

Dufner now has 19 top-10 finishes in his professional career.

The Tigers’ next tournament is at the Desert Intercollegiate in Palm Desert, Calif., Feb. 25.
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet