A statement from the Editorial Board
Dec 06, 2013 | 9021 views | 3 3 comments | 61 61 recommendations | email to a friend | print
In the Thursday, Dec. 5, issue of The Plainsman, the editorial board published an editorial titled “Bammers are in a class of their own.” It was not our intention to insult the entire Alabama fanbase. Our editorial was meant as a satirical piece that addressed the extremist fans we referred to as “Bammers.”

We acknowledge both Auburn and Alabama have their fair share of fanatics who reflect poorly on their larger fanbases. It was our mistake in not pointing out that Auburn has extremist fans as well.

We want to make it known we have nothing but respect for the University of Alabama and the general fanbase.

An editorial is a piece based solely on opinion, which is completely different from an article that employs typical journalistic objectivity. We can assure you this opinion piece does not affect our commitment to journalistic standards of integrity.

Comments
(3)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
ucicare
|
December 10, 2013
The apology was just as weak as the article.

An apology laden with excuses is no apology.

Try this sample apology -

Dear Faithful readers of THE PLAINSMAN:

In the Thursday, Dec. 5, issue of The Plainsman, the editorial board published an editorial titled “Bammers are in a class of their own.” It was not our intention to insult the entire Alabama fanbase, although it is glaringly obvious that we did exactly that. We also succeeded in embarrassing our University, and reducing any semblance of journalistic respect we may have earned to a smoldering ruin.

Our editorial was meant as a satirical piece that addressed the extremist fans we referred to as “Bammers.” We sincerely apologize that as Journalism Majors at Auburn University we should have been aware that satire does not belong in the editorial section of a newspaper. We further apologize to our parents for wasting their tuition check on beer and video games.

Lastly, we apologize without excuse, period. We further vow to review our understanding of the phrase "commitment to journalistic standards of integrity", and will use the phrase appropriately in complete coherent sentence as evidence of our commitment to grow up.

2Wheeler
|
December 08, 2013
Congrats to the Auburn Tigers football team on winning the SEC Championship, now onward to Pasadena and keep the crystal in Alabama. RTR.
2Wheeler
|
December 07, 2013
Good luck in your BCS bowl.