Fourth Republican announces candidacy for House seat

Joseph Lovvorn, an Auburn-based realtor, became the fourth Republican to announce his candidacy for former Speaker Mike Hubbard's District 79 Alabama House seat. Lovvorn announced his candidacy June 28.

“I have spent my life working to make our community a better place to live and raise a family,’’ Lovvorn said. “That goal will not change, and I have the experience to make it happen. I'm asking the voters for this opportunity, and I won’t disappoint.’’

Lovvorn has been a realtor in Auburn for more than 15 years and is a board member of the Auburn Chamber of Commerce. He attended Auburn, graduating in 1999 with a degree from the College of Agriculture and again in 2000 with a Master of Business Administration degree.

To pay his way through college, Lovvorn became a student firefighter.

“I love Auburn University," Lovvorn added. "The University is crucial to the success of our community. I will do everything possible to represent the needs of Auburn, while forming partnerships to improve our community’s quality of life.’’

Lovvorn's bio said his father was a farmer, and he bought his first cattle at the age of five and still returns to the family farm for peace and quiet.

Over the past two weeks, three other hopefuls have also announced their campaigns. Sandy Toomer, owner of Toomer's Coffee, announced last week he would try again for the seat. He competed against Hubbard back in 2014.

Attorneys Hal Walker and Brett Smith have also announced.

"I am not bought by special interests and have no ties to secret clubs or outside influence," Smith said. "As your state representative, I will stand boldly for the people of Alabama and our Auburn value. It is my hope that through my honesty and boldness I may earn your respect and your vote."

Lovvorn joins the three other men in the competition for the seat formerly held by Hubbard, an Auburn Republican and media executive. Hubbard was removed from office earlier this month after being found guilty of 12 felony ethics violations.

"We have lost faith in our government and its leaders," Walker said. "I want to restore faith back in the government."

Hubbard's sentencing hearing is set for July 8, 2016, at 10 a.m.

The primary election is scheduled for Sept. 13, 2016. The general election is set for Nov. 29, barring the need for a run-off. In that case, the general election would be moved to Feb. 7, 2017.

Share and discuss “Fourth Republican announces candidacy for House seat” on social media.